Jon_vr6

Best 288mm disc and pad set up

Hi ive just had a set of 288mm calipers/carriers refurbed and want to renew the disc and pads at the same time, whats peoples recommended disc and pad set up for 288's i currently have ebc turbo groove and ebc red pads but they arn't the most reassuring first thing in the morning?

Part numbers and links would be ideal

Thanks

Jon

I'm cuurently using Apec disc's with yellow pads, quite good both on and off track. They have a nice amount of bite from cold & don't fade too quick when pushing hard. I used Mintex 1144's before this set of pads, but they fade too quick when on track, for road use they're pretty good with a better bite from cold than the yellow.

Matt

Good quality plain disks and pagid rs 4 2 blue pads

They sent the cheapest pads but I've never had an issue with them on or off track

Also look at the rest if your brake system,how old are the flexis??

They deteariate with age and start expand with use, ideal time to upgrade to braided lines (see suppliers forum)

Fill with a good quality dot 4 or 5 fluid.

Good quality plain disks and pagid rs 4 2 blue pads

They sent the cheapest pads but I've never had an issue with them on or off track

Also look at the rest if your brake system,how old are the flexis??

They deteariate with age and start expand with use, ideal time to upgrade to braided lines (see suppliers forum)

Fill with a good quality dot 4 or 5 fluid.

Im ok on that front fella stainless flexi's all round

Indeed. I have standard discs and pads on my 288's and I really haven't ever felt short of stopping power! And they seem to be lasting for ever. The discs look like new still and have done about 20k since they were fitted!

If you want reassurance on the pedal from cold and hot, the dealer MK4 GTI pads on either GSF Brembo (plain) or dealer discs works very well indeed. The pads are only 40 quid too. Coming from AP 330mm 4 pots and evil Pagid Grey racing pads, they're actually a good setup for the road with modest power.

Had a look on etka and seems that the ones for the mk4 come with wear indicator lead can they just be chopped off or pulled off ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah just cut off the wear indicator plug.

Another vote for genuine stuff - I recently changed my VAG pads (after 42k miles) for Green stuff and they aren't as good and seem to require warming up a bit first - particularly crap first thing in the morning!

Would steer away from red stuff as they don't work up to 50c as they track. Green stuff are good either with their EBC discs or black diamond discs.

But to echo the above Brembo discs with Pagid fast road pads. Will be spot on. I have gone for that on the last few old VWs I have had and always get good results

Just got my pad and disc setup from the dealers but have a quick question on the back of 2 of the pads there are 3m stickers stuck to the back of them are do i take them off or leave them?

Look like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-GOLF-MK4-V6-V5-FRONT-BRAKE-PADS-WITH-SENSORS-1J0698151M-/280819029417?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41621e55a9

I thought they were a cover for the anti squeak pad and it peels off prior to instation. Should almost fall off leaving the anti squeak beneath.

The stickers just aid fitment. The inboard pad clips into the caliper piston and the outboard one sticks to the caliper via the double sided tape, just to hold it in position. Then all the dealer mechanic has to do is lump the caliper back over the disc as a job lot.

I can't really see how it's an anti squeal pad because when you come to change the pads, you will see metal on metal marks where the sticky pad used to be.

So just take them stickers off leaving the sticky residue underneath?

Also ive always coppers greased the backs of the pads in the past do i not need to with the mk4 pads?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I just leave the stickers on the pads. There's no real reason to remove them and in my experience, the 288 setup doesn't squeal anyway. The pads, you will notice, are chamfered on the leading and trailing edges to help with noise and bed in.

I just leave the stickers on the pads. There's no real reason to remove them and in my experience, the 288 setup doesn't squeal anyway. The pads, you will notice, are chamfered on the leading and trailing edges to help with noise and bed in.

Yeah noticed that the backs had a sort of sandpaper effect on the backs Kev

Cheers

Jon

Oh yeah, there's a rough coating on the pad that only lasts a few miles to help with bed in, but mainly it's the chamfered edges that stop the squealing!

Cool all getting fitted tomorrow newly refurbished 288mm calipers and carriers from bigg red, new oem discs and pads and new backing plates for behind the discs, oh yeah and new brake fluid

Cool all getting fitted tomorrow newly refurbished 288mm calipers and carriers from bigg red, new oem discs and pads and new backing plates for behind the discs, oh yeah and new brake fluid

Dont forget to take some pics of all these parts before fitting so that we can have drool on them :)