blacktopsurfer

2 years asleep now where do i start & how do i awaken said beast

I LOVE theses cars but the bitch keeps eating my hard earnt! ive had her for five years now, i used her as my daily for the first two but she was eating up any chance of me affording food! So i started a business and its going well and now i finally have some spare ones to chuck on her and some sanity left to loose. So ive deceided to try and reveive her :)

Now the misses has got this idea in her head that she wants me to save for a house and moans even if i mention the motor, so i got to revive the project really :) project covert corrado is born!

But how do i go about it, where do i start..... maybe some checks possibly for an mot...

..like a Ninja in the night?!.. Doing car repairs in the dark wearing a balaclava by the Light of a small torch whilst the missus sleeps!?..big padlock on the garage..she will probs think you are a proper weirdo with a dodgy secret, but at least she won't think you are wasting dosh on a car!!..

' yes love I sold the car, funds are in my savings account nicely accruing interest towards the house purchase..what's that, the padlock on the garage, lot of break-ins in the area, can't be too careful....what's that love, where's the key, I've lost it babe, it's so secure even I can't get in'.........

Missus: ' hello, is that the Police..I think my bloke has dead people in the garage!'...

HAHAHAA Gota love a good night operation and it dont matter the misses already knows im a weirdo so this aids the smoke and mirrors tactics where employing here, may have to get a balaclava tho - sound advice! My only other concern is how do i get the smell of engine oil of my boiler suit collar!

Edited by blacktopsurfer

i'll mask it with Eau de toilette of diesel then, that'll throw her off the sent with it being a petrol. but seriously though, what would you check after the vdub's been sat for a couple of years.....

Think it would just be general recommisioning work, fluids mainly. Giving it a really good visual inspection underneath for corrosion to brake lines etc. Checking condition of tyres (cracking etc) .

I am assuming you wont be driving it in anger until it is MOT'd so the majority of those defects will be picked up on at the testing station. So really you want to be looking at the braking system too, pad /disc condition, pedal feel/fluid level.

Flushing/draining the engine oil system and filter out to get rid of any nasties, then getting it turned over a few times to get the oil to the top of the engine before starting it up in earnest. Probably replacing the coolant fluid as well, but this can bring on problems of its own, but I think as has been said before if a head gasket goes after doing this it was probably on its way out already.

Not an exhaustive list, but I guess slow and steady and all this is on the assumption that its not been run at all for the two years,

Dougie

Cool, its a slow and steady process im after. Im not in a rush just want to take my time and get it right once. Ive started her up a few times when its been standing and the pads show signs of surface rust, would they need to be replaced? whats the best treatment for this?

As per the fluids, the engines had a bit of work done to it and is running rich, you can smell the fuel on start up and its running a little lumpy, so needs a bit of a tune up once ive finished modifying the cooling system.

The car hasnt got any MOT, TAX nor Insurance. I need to take it to get it checked out once the braking system/fluids have been sorted on her; will a days insurance cover me to run it over to a MOT place to get it checked over? i would have to get tax also....

Cheers Dougie! Pete

Cool, its a slow and steady process im after. Im not in a rush just want to take my time and get it right once. Ive started her up a few times when its been standing and the pads show signs of surface rust, would they need to be replaced? whats the best treatment for this?

As per the fluids, the engines had a bit of work done to it and is running rich, you can smell the fuel on start up and its running a little lumpy, so needs a bit of a tune up once ive finished modifying the cooling system.

The car hasnt got any MOT, TAX nor Insurance. I need to take it to get it checked out once the braking system/fluids have been sorted on her; will a days insurance cover me to run it over to a MOT place to get it checked over? i would have to get tax also....

Cheers Dougie! Pete

My vr was laid up for four years. Mine was also over-fuelling and had a poor idle. IIRC I replaced the pcv valve for a new unit and cleaned out the isv and throttle body. This cured the rough idle and over-fuelling issues. What engine is yours?

Is it worth getting a price to get your car 'recovered' to the garage? Mine was collected and delivered to the garage (circa 14 miles away) for £30 - this would give you peace of mind regarding insurance and no MOT legalities. I had new pads and discs all round, but was able to keep the existing callipers.

Where are you based? Good luck :)

You could get day insurance, and it will cover you on your way to the MOT. As long as its booked in for the MOT, your within the law. Remember you need the certificate and insurance details to tax it anyway, so don't worry about that. Worth sticking in some new fuel as well, as the old stale petrol won't be burning particularly cleanly, so that will also be adding to the rough idle.

Cheers for the replys guys. I think getting it on a trailer is the best option all things considered, boy down the road with one and rather expensive to insure for one day.

My motors a 1.9 corrado g60, is the pcv valve near the top of the engine cover? i'll have the a look at the throttle body more closely and the isv but i dont like looking at them as the seem to f**k up even by just looking at them haha

Fuels a good idea, it was running particularly low as i drained the tank an just chucked a fiver's worth in to turn her over a few times when it was left standing.

Its annoying that the mechanical basics have to be done first before the fun begins :) also the piece of metal visable from underneath the car and below the slam panel structual as mines rotted out - would look for a new one if i knew what it was called!

I'm based near Abergavenny in South Wales, any of you guys go to ultimate dubs at all this year, i was there when the green mk5 on wide bbs's where there - that was sick, so many corrado vrt's with water coolers on

Think your talking about the front cross member. May be worth changing the fuel filter if there was only a very small amount of fuel in. All the sediment at the bottom of the tank would have settled, and could have caused a partial block. May just need a good blow out though. Get it up to temp, and give it a blast, it may just settle it. Other possibility is that a mouse/mice has/have crawled up your exhaust and died, blocking it around the cat! Just speculating there obviously!

hmmm very tempting to give it a good blow out, the noise makes my hairs stand on end and I've got a beard! i'll count how many carcasses come out the loud end, maybe one to put on bet 365!

Going to get some general lubricants. Want something a little thicker than the 10 40 semi syntha oil, any suggestions?

also does brand of oil filter matter, seen some nice k and n ones for a tenner on ebay but not sure whether they fit the guy was very vague: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180941131612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I honestly don't see the point in "performance" oil filters. They don't filter any better, and they don't circulate any better. Just an oil filter with a brand name offered at an excessive rate imo. Personally I'd stick with a standard one, but its up to you, and its your money. If they seller isn't quite sure, seems a bit of a pointless exercise and a waste of money if it doesn't fit. Stick with standard 10w40 oil too, you'll only compromise lubrication when cold by using a thicker oil, and considering its gonna start getting very cold very soon, its not worth the worry.