Sign in to follow this  
DanA

Alarm Fob draining batterys

My Fob is going though batterys at quite a rate... once a week!!! I've tryed to find the alarm to work out what make it is but can't find the thing anywhere. I'd of thought the siren bit should of been under the bonnet somewhere ???

Anybody any ideas, here's a pic of the Fob.

Fob.jpg

Cheers,

Dan[/img]

Often on a nasty looking bracket that fits around the offside front strut. Otherwise screwed to the bulkhead somewhere, above the gearbox. It is possible that it is connected to the cars horn so you wouldn't see anything under the bonnet.

gavin

Definitely a siren... was annoying the neighbours for about 5 mins whilst i changed the batterys :roll:

You will need to find the control unit behind the dash (usualy behind the glove box). The easiest way to locate it is to set the alarm off and follow the clicking sound of the relays.

You will need to find the control unit behind the dash (usualy behind the glove box). The easiest way to locate it is to set the alarm off and follow the clicking sound of the relays.

Best day for that has got to be a Sunday, before 8am! :lol:

Gavin

Gavin - I could be featured on "Neighbours from hell" :lol:

Glenn - is yours a factory fit one then ?? should i just pop up to VW and see if they can sort me out with a new one ?

Dan

I dunno if mine is factory fitted but that was the impression I got when I bought the car. It's the exact same though - has a kinda CI logo in the middle with a line through it and on the back mine says - MPT 1340 WT LICENCE EXEMPT. Will have a look through my documentation to try and see if it's a factory fitted one - will get back to you. Mine has never given me any trouble although on the occasional morning my dashboard lights dim when I press the brake but it soon sorted itself out after a few minutes of driving - could be a drain overnight too. :?

Just noticed that on my fob the button on the side that is serrated is in the up position nearer the red light than the keyring end. I always thought that it was just a release button for opening the fob - do you know if it's a button though for changing modes or anything? Don't see how that could make a difference really. Bit of a longshot.

Mystified mate.

Yep, mine has exactly the same text on the back too... Hmmm, interesting thought about the sliding switch (Definitely a switch as i've had it in bits a few times).. I wonder if its something to do with programing the remotes ? so when its set in a certain position its constantly using power.

I'll give this a try first and let you know.

Cheers again,

Dan

Dan - just slid my switch into the other position and it completely stopped the fob from working! I dunno it's mad. Let me know how you get on mate.

Thanks for that Glenn... Its done 50k too with FVWSH 8) Been keeping an eye out for the right one for years, just need to pay the loans off now!

Your Burgundy motor looks well smart too, very nice colour! I've not seen many around like that.

I've set the switch to the same position as yours, then taken the slider plastic bit off so i can't accidently switch it back. The batterys lasted 1 week before so we'll soon find out. Spoke to the last owner and he's pretty sure its a VAG alarm so should have no problems getting a new Fob.

Strange how mine was still working set in the other position and yours didnt, makes me think its the Fob that's had it.

I'll let you know anyway,

Cheers

Dan

U have a Scorpion 918 series alarm. Thatcham 1 spec, but you'll need the installation certificate for the insurance discount.

Siren unit is quite small (black) but WILL be in the engine bay. Usually mounted onto one of the inner wings. Alarm control unit will be mounted inside the car - behind the dash (as has already been suggested).

Contrary to earlier suggestions - you will have difficulty getting another alarm fob. They are factory coded to the control unit. To get a new fob, you will have to send your alarm control unit & existing alarm fob to Scorpion Vehicle Security in Manchester. It is not possible to just re-code a new fob on this type of alarm system.

It may be possible to have your existing fob repaired - may just be a dry joint on the circuit board inside. If the transmitter is working okay to unlock/lock the car - repair is usually possible.

The switch controls what mode the alarm goes into when you arm it. IIRC one position enables the cabin motion detectors, and the other position leaves these disabled.

The switch controls what mode the alarm goes into when you arm it. IIRC one position enables the cabin motion detectors, and the other position leaves these disabled.

Spot on there - the switch just disables/enables the ultrasonic interior sensors.

Thanks for that guys, very helpful indeed!

I'll try and get this remote repaired... don't fancy trying to locate and remove the control unit!