VeeDub_NZ

R32 steel sump - oil pick up clearance!?

I put a 3.2L BHE Audi TT motor in my Corrado and got it running yesterday. I put a 12v steel sump on it because the car is quite low and I don't want to risk smashing an alloy one.

How much clearance does the pick up have to the bottom of the sump? The car seems to have lost oil pressure today and i'm wondering if that's the problem - I'll drop the sump tomorrow and measure but has anyone had a problem with 12v sumps not allowing enough clearance?

Why do I need a 12v oil pump - is the clearance better? I don't really want to go to a baffled sump but I ran the 2.8L 24v motor for a few months on the 24v oil pick up with no problems.

Tomorrow i'll drop the 12v sump and i'll measure the depth compared to the alloy 24v sump. I'll measure the clearance differences and i'll order a new 12v oil pump.

The plan then is to grease the gears in the oil pump, hook up a pressure guage and crank it over without the plugs & hope for the best. I'll post up the measurement differences between the R32 pick up vs 12v pick up and the 12v sump vs 24v sump if anyone is interested to know exactly what they are. Cheers for the advice!

Why do I need a 12v oil pump - is the clearance better? I don't really want to go to a baffled sump but I ran the 2.8L 24v motor for a few months on the 24v oil pick up with no problems.

Because the 12V sump is deeper. If you use the R32 pump with it's shorter pickup, you'll end up with surge problems. Well, worse than normal! The R32 used a baffled sump for a reason and I'd be inclined to use it personally. I'm also using a lowered Corrado with an R32 engine and I don't have any clearance issues with the sump at all. In fact, it sits higher than the wishbones!!