Jim

Estate Agent problem...

Random question #88..

I've got a lock-up garage which, between my dad and I, we've rented from a local estate agent for over 20 years. We've had to call them in once in that whole time to fix a problem.

However I've been trying to get them to come out now for about 4 months to fix a serious flooding issue (drain runs down the back of the garage wall and seems to be blocked - floods the floor whenever it rains) and a problem with the door (spring has gone on one side) and they simply will not do anything - I've called at least 6 times, been into the shop once, and emailed and they simply never call back. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of problem? Is there an ombudsmen I can call? I'm at my whits end with the useless feckers.

do they hold a deposit from you? I'd have thought threatening to withhold rent is about your only option if gentle requests have failed, as it's not a residential let I think there's little you can do, classic case of agents doing bu99er all for their slice of a rental income.

The drainpipe might be easy to sort yourself and just not mention you ever touched anything, but the door would be more expensive, just thinking of what might be easiest, cheapest and least hassle for you in the long run.

If you can get a message to the owner about damage being done by water then that might help stimulate some action?

If I was in your shoes I would write to them and list the dates you have asked them to resolve the situation. Then state you will be getting the repair works carried out ... and any cost will be deducted from the rental payment.

Technically the lease probably won't allow you to do this, legally speaking, but it might force their hand. And you don't have to follow through on the threat.

Do you know who the owner of the Garage is Jim? Could just cut out the middle man?

Estate agents, pfffff. Up there with Insurance companies and bankers imo.

If there's a flood, call envirnonmental health (or whatever it is!). I had a similar problem at a flat I lived at several years ago, where my overflow was blocked and kept flooding a communal porch. The agents didn't want to know, but as soon as I got the environmental lot in, it was sorted within a couple of days.

Generally they belong to either the NAEA or the RICS. Of the two RICS take customer complaints very seriously, you could threaten report of inaction to either organisation.

No do not withhold your rent! my sis had an issue where the boiler in the loft was leaking into the bedroom. Landlord wouldnt come out and eventually she stopped paying rent.

She was then kicked out of the property.

Continue to pay rent. Sounds unfair but it'll only make things worse if you dont.

Generally they belong to either the NAEA or the RICS. Of the two RICS take customer complaints very seriously, you could threaten report of inaction to either organisation.

I just checked their website and can see that they're a member of RICS - maybe it's time for a letter!

I never thought about the potential health issues that this could be causing.. I will give them some renewed hassle I think.

Cheers.