fla

aircon heater blower motor

Mine looks to be failing due to seized bearings but i was thinking of dismantling to see if anything can be done. Has anyone done this? If so, remving the rivets on the alloy head - what does this then allow you to do, after also removing the allen bolt around the clamp?

Failing this, where could i source a new one?

If it's already broke then I wouldn't think twice about attempting to fix it. Blower wise I've seen a couple of different makes of blower. Mines stamped as a Lancia unit (Diavia aftermarket set up). But have also seen Audi units fitted. You'll probably find it'll have some sort of part number on it. Just whip it out and take it from there.

I have a mk3 vr6 im breaking/robbing bits off. It has aircon, possibly same airbox? happy to have a wee look to see if the part numbers match, if you know it?

thanks chaps. Easypops, yes definitely interested. I'm travelling for this week but i'll take some pics when i'm back.

The blower itself is a Spal and really shifts some air. Model number (i can only make out the top half of the sticker due to the bracket) looks like:

A53/C2 28D 12V

12V of course referring to the supply voltage.

Actually the number is A52/C2 - managed to get the motor collar off, but the bearings are another matter. Any luck with the airbox Easypops?

I didn't notice your earlier reply mate, I'll go and have a look (by torchlight) to see if i can see a number, failing that i'll get a good look an saturday as i'm working all daylight hours tomorrow :)

Managed to get a bad photo, numbers look different though? I'll get a better one on saturday if needed :)

Thanks. Mines a Spal fan not Valeo, hence the different part numbers, but if you wouldnt mind taking some photos of the blower itself we could probably see if it looks similar?Thanks again.

Appreciate your efforts. The housing etc is completed different as is the connector, but it may be that the motor is the right size. How much would this be posted to London?

Just to bump this thread again - any idea where to get one? Easypops, many thanks for your help so far and the kind gesture.

well i've relubed the old motor bearings and run the fan. very quiet but i wonder how long it will last... There are no ballraces in the fan motor just bronze bushes, for some reason.

Anyway, refitting is the reverse of disassembly - is it really?? Someone from Haynes should be held accountable for this! Of course there are more issues in refitting the motor due to the numerous cables behind the housing which are getting trapped in the plastic fan housing. And of course impossible to see too. I'll probably use a mirror and try slipping some stiff cardboard to keep the wires out of the way.

As a general comment, if your motor bearings are getting noisy, remove the fan pop it in the oven, not too hot though. This is just to remove the squirrel run from it. Put it between two high books and tap the centre shaft to remove the squirrel. Lube the bearings overnight (both ends) and refit the blades.