C-UNIT

Opinions advice needed!! Respray color change or keep original??

The car currently is Helious blue metalic had some doors replaced and have 2 clean wings, stripping as much off as possible been quoted around £1500

I do love helious blue but was thinking space grey metalic seen on the bmw m3.

So far i have mixed opinions keeping it original vw dub color is classic .. opinions appreciated

that's a good respray price.

i say change, do something different, gray metallic would be pretty cool i reckon.

Edited by aide
sic

well you have a nice and rarer colour so personally i'd stick with it unless you were planning a flat out show spec build, especially if you're not planning on painting the bay too. nothing worse than an unpainted bay!

I'd always stick original unless I had absolutely no intentions of ever selling the car or basically didn't care about any future resale value. To do a proper respray needs to be right back to bare metal, engine out, etc etc - otherwise there will always be areas that have been missed where you can see the car had a colour change!

Thanks guys some good advice my feeling is to keep original color i dont have intension to sell but its so true unfinished bits like engine bay which i dont have plan to do may be in future but its not really a show car so aiming for the best finish i can get..if i was to chane color then its going to be done properly it will probably cost more. so i think if its done right helious can look amazing it is rare and recognised as a vw corrado color. i hope to post pics once its done..for now i continue to strip as much off as possible.

I was the same as you mate. When I painted mine I did it myself but was so tempted to change colour but the amount of work to do it properly is huge and I would have ended up never getting it done. Helios blue is a good colour it just looks a little dull when dirty. I had a golf mk2 Helios which I resprayed a few years ago and when it was clean it looked great

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69852[/ATTACH]

The mk2 looks mint nice finish! I have now done the deal with a sprayer who has also voted for original color hope to post pics soon.

Nicely done :) Glad you decided to stick with original! I look forward to seeing some pictures when it's all done..

glad to hear you are keeping it original. Helios Blue is my second favourite colour on the Mk2 Golf behind Oak Green. I would love to see an Oak Green Corrado, but as others have said it would be an unfeasibly large and costly job

Not sure the oak green would work on a raddo. I love the colour but it tends to look a bit scrubby even when clean unless on a bright day. Think the most important part with the Helios is to get some smart wheels and make sure they are silver or polished to show the blue off

unless the whole cars being stripped out along with the engine deffo keep it original colour, mine had a colour change by one of its previous owners but only the outside so engine bay, scuttle tray and some inside bits in the boot were done with a rattle can wasnt so bad at first but then you notice the bits which werent done,

Oak green's been done on a Corrado - looks amazing IMO (pics below - username Pau1 on here) but would be a huge job to change colour completely, unless you went back to the shell you'd always be finding bits you'd missed.

IMGP1424x.jpg

IMGP1428x.jpg

I'm still planning my respray (keep finding niggling mechanical bits that need doing...) but I'm going for blackberry metallic with matte clearcoat 8)

Stone

Oak green's been done on a Corrado - looks amazing IMO (pics below - username Pau1 on here) but would be a huge job to change colour completely, unless you went back to the shell you'd always be finding bits you'd missed.

IMGP1424x.jpg

IMGP1428x.jpg

I'm still planning my respray (keep finding niggling mechanical bits that need doing...) but I'm going for blackberry metallic with matte clearcoat 8)

Stone

That is my dream garage!..an Oak Green Rado and a Porker 993. I think both cars share a DNA/design ethos, and if Porsche had done a front engined front wheel drive car it would have been the Corrado. I really want a 993

Wow have to agree it looks amazing! Oak green rado is the one altho Blackberry metalic will look just as good good choice.

To be fair they always look good with fresh paint, seen them every colour from white to matte brown (really!) and they always come out well.

Tempted to get the sunroof filled while I'm at it, it's been nothing but trouble. You planning any body mods to go with the new paint?

Stone

Definitely think original colour, unless you're doing the full job of a colour change.

Like the oak green rado next to the 993!!

Been thinking the same thing myself. Gotta be honest I love my car just wish it was any colour other than red. Actually almost never bought it as I really just didn't fancy a red car. Been thinking a nice dark metallic grey as well or perhaps VW Schwartz Blau. Had a MK II in SB and it was brilliant - depending on the light it looked black, blue, grey and even had someone who swore blind they remembered it being Oak Green :D

So true sometimes you choose the car for what it is and color sometimes comes 2nd, situation at the time availability of colors plus rados are rare..i wonder anyone know how many raddos in the uk left at a guess?

Red can look good though!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69965[/ATTACH]