Rob_B

New work laptop spec...

Hi ladies and gents, I need some advice with buying a new laptop for work please.

Main use of the machine will be to run PLC programming software, web browsing and HMI software. For anyone that wants to know the software I will mainly use is Omron CX one and the motion software.

I tend to use things like Logmein as well for remote access.

Anyway this software will work on windows 7 but I'm not sure about windows 8 (if available).

I have no idea about the differences between windows 7 home and professional.

I will need at least 500gb of storage.

The more RAM the better I guess?

Need to be able to run Youtube Hi def videos easily!

Need a screen of 15" minimum.

The machine will need to be fairly robust as it will get some abuse.

Needs Microsoft Office 2010 professional.

No idea what processor I need.

Also it needs to last 3-5 years!

£1000 budget, but less is better!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

As someone who buys a fair amount of work laptops, it's gotta be Dell. Have a look at Latitudes (they're the workhorse of the Dell family).

You'll want Windows 7 Pro (not Windows 8 or home). You should also get the next business day on site if you get a dell (costs about £30 for 3 years I think) in case something goes wrong. Pays for itself if you use it once! Make sure you spec the processor with Intel i5 or i7. They are the same except the i7 has hyper threading, this helps if you run lots of apps at the same time, but I have an i5 in my work laptop and never once maxed it out with 7+ programs running at the same time!

As for Hi def Youtube, that's pretty much down to your internet connection!

Cheers Ollie, a latitude is my current machine, so I have been looking keenly at them.

3rd gen i5 processor seems to be the latest from the intel line. So I guess that's the one to have. Are duel cores not the thing anymore?

Most i5's out there now will have quad cores instead of dual cores so will be even quicker. Windows 8 isn't available yet and I wouldn't rush to try it as I think there will be a number of issues with it regarding legacy or older software.

Actually Windows 8 is based on 7 code so existing apps and drivers should just work. The problem with it is the interface. I've been trying out the release candidate and it's ****. I have a feeling Windows 8 will go the way of Vista!

As for the new gen Intel's, Jim's right. they are quad core, the i7 just looks like an 8 core CPU to the hardware because of hyper threading.

I tend to use things like Logmein as well for remote access. Anyway this software will work on windows 7 but I'm not sure about windows 8 (if available). I have no idea about the differences between windows 7 home and professional.

LogMeIn should work just fine on Windows 8, they are very good in keeping their software updated for modern operating systems. Having said that stick with Windows 7 Professional (64bit).

Difference between home and professional really is down to one important difference. Professional version can be joined to your "work domain". So you can use your profile on company network, it will help with office printers and mapped drives. Home edition of Windows 7 cannot be joined to domain - and it is a bit of pain in the neck in office environment. So get yourself Professional edition and if you ever need that feature it will be there ready for you.

The more RAM the better I guess?

4GB is absolute minimum, 8GB is ideal. Anything above is a "bit-of-money-waste" unless you are doing a lot of 3D modelling, video editing or you work on massive Photoshop/Illustrator files. Generally speaking 8GB should be just fine - unless your application are extremely memory hungry - but I doubt that if you manage to work just fine using your old laptop.

The machine will need to be fairly robust as it will get some abuse.

Dell's are nice, especially with support - but are also pricey. A very robust laptops are made by Lenovo (old IBM) - they may not win a beauty contest at uni campus - but are extremely well made and will take some abuse without braking.

Needs Microsoft Office 2010 professional.

This you will have to buy on your own. Your new laptop will most likely come with pre-installed Office 2010 already, but it will be only demo version that will work for only 30-60 days.

No idea what processor I need.

Intel i5 should be fine, if you need more power go for i7 (but these are pricey). There is also an Intel i3 which is a dual-core - but for something that should last 3-5 years, get yourself at least i5 which (usually is quad-core).

Remember number of cores is a bit of a fairy tale if your software does not support multicore setup. Generally the older the version of software, the more chance it will not support multicore.. it is only recent software that can take benefit from it.

Display If you find yourself working outside (with sun above your head or very bright rooms) make sure you will go for a screen with Matte display, not Glossy. Glossy one is perfect for home machine - but in bright environment main thing you will see on the screen will be your face and all lamps behind you!

ps. When you are using PLC do you use any special interface to connect your laptop to these machines? aka: serial, parallel, USB? Or you just use network connection or LogMeIn for it?

---------- Post added at 1:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:52 PM ----------

I have a feeling Windows 8 will go the way of Vista!

Typical, Windows way... every second edition of OS is pants.

Windows 8 - > pants (most likely)

Windows 7 -> great OS

Windows Vista -> pants

Windows XP -> great OS

Windows Me (milenium) -> pants

Windows 2000 -> good but not great

etc...

The problem with it is the interface. I've been trying out the release candidate and it's ****. I have a feeling Windows 8 will go the way of Vista!

Yep! Lots of complaints about the beta version's look and feel on the net and the guy who sits next to me at work has it on his machine. I'm not a fan of it at all! I'm sure it's probably fine once you get used to it, but I can forsee a lot of reluctance to adopt it.

Make sure it is pbw compatible,its a must

What's that chap?

Guildmage, cheers. Some sound points there. For PLC access I use USB, serial, Ethernet and remote access! So I will get a serial/USB adaptor as my laptop has a serial port at the moment which is great.

64bit windows pro and 8gb of ram is looking like must.

Pokey bum w a n k

I see.... It's a work machine so I can't be using it for that I'm afraid

This you will have to buy on your own. Your new laptop will most likely come with pre-installed Office 2010 already, but it will be only demo version that will work for only 30-60 days.

I forgot to mention, Amazon is probably your best bet (avoid ebay as you'll likely get a 'copy').

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Office-Home-Business-2010/dp/B003FOYV4O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1350412417&sr=8-4

We had to buy 20 copies at work and amazon was the cheapest! (Even compared to IT re sellers who don't provide to Jo Public). I know Dell also offer it as an option so could be worth comparing costs.

Back to hardware - I also forgot about Lenovo. I've not had much experience of them but I think cost wise they are similar to Dell.

My reasons for Dell are mostly based around two things. The NBD on site repairs and how modular they are. There isn't much that can't just be unplugged and replaced.

I'm sure other business grade manufactures are the same (Lenovo, Toshiba and so on) but I would avoid home brands such as Packard Bell, Acer, Asus and so on.

FWIW - Avoid 'glossy' screens like the plague!! Nothing worse than getting the reflection from lights or windows when your trying to work. Sadly they seem more common than anti glare these days (thanks Apple) but most business vendors off an anti glare alternative, you might have to ask for it.

Lastly, SSD drives are the single best upgrade you can buy at the moment. I have one in my desktop at home and my work laptop. They are fantastic for speed, but even better in laptops as they have no moving parts it gives you extra battery juice.

Edited by OllieVR6