Sign in to follow this  
russg60

sunroof

hi ive just removed the chrome rockers to sort out the problem of my sunroof not sliding great :D it now slides but when i slide it forward it was scrathed like mad :roll: any ideas what the prob is

ta

russ

Yep very common that. Mine's scratched to buggery too, which is why I only use it on tilt.

You need to run the roof back and forth without the headlining to see why it's catching on the roof support straps.

K

No you don't... :shock:

If you've removed the 2 chromed levers at the rear of the mechanism on each side, these are what holds the roof panel down when it slides forward (hence their name on ETKA - "Locking Segment"). As such, it's not really surprising that the sunroof panel is now scratched to buggery.

What was you roof doing before you removed these?

Mike Edwards,

Mike - seems you know a bit about the sunroof issue.

Have just posted a reply to another thread (my first ever!) and then noticed this one too. My roof has just been scratched by closing it - any ideas what's wrong? Is it the summer heat expanding the mech?! My guess is wear and tear, but I'm restricted to tilt only until this is resolved. :mad:

Cheers.

the sunroof was trying to open on the slide function but wasnt actually moving back.

but since ive removed the chrome rockers it goes back no probs apart from the marks on it

My roof scratched itself before I removed the locking levers! Same situation afterwards.

I reckon the little wheels in said locking levers are worn down then in that case. You'll need to replace those, if VW sell them seperately.

K

The scratches have pretty much come out of my sunroof lid with some elbow grease. I noticed that the little black bits of tubing over the ends of the locking levers are flat spotted on mine, but rotating them to contact a higher point made no difference - part way through closing, the lid again stepped up whilst still inside the roof. Luckily it's possible to lightly press down on the lid to avoid further scraping.

The problem seems to have occurred suddenly rather than gradually, making me suspect something may have broken rather than worn - now I'm studying the motion, the roof suddenly moves forward a lot slower when it goes from normal clearance to "popping up" inside the roof. Usually tries to do it from about halfway forward onwards.

The latest Sprinter has a feature on replacing the cables etc, and mentions the little wheels - but from memory it mentions them being involved in the tilting rather than the sliding?

Still looking for clues as to what exactly has gone wrong. When I get a spare few hours of daylight I'm going to remove the lid and moving headliner and study the movement of the mech to see if that throws any clues.

G.

Let us know how you get on. Would like to get my roof sliding again! I'll look into it again when I get time and I'm sure a 'Haywire' modification will soon follow :lol:

if you want a spare semi broken roof to mess about with Kev, gizza yell and I'll bring one along to a show... 8)

Cool, not a bad idea!

I think the next event I'll be going to will be the Stealth Rolling road day Jim is organising?

I may well be popping down to that as it's not mega far from here... 8)

I'll let you know a bit closer to the time... I've got 2 complete mechanisms, one of which has the scratch marks you've all described, so you're welcome to have that one for yours to fix up and re-spray the same colour to make life easier when you come to replace the one in your car if you're gonna document the fix in your normal style.... 8)

Well I was hoping to get a little more interest in the rolling road day before I committed to sorting it out Kev.. there didn't seem to be that many interested people! :(

Any idea how many people Steath would generally like onboard before they'd open up on a Sunday?

depending on when you're looking at doing it, I may be up for a quick RR session to compare it to some other cars... 8)

Be great to meet some of you fellow sufferers at Stonor Park on 6th June - anyone going? Loads of water cooled cars last year (and sun), so be nice to talk sunroofs and stalling and share the pain!

Need some reassurance that all this nonsense is still worth it!

G.

Well I haven't actually talked to Vince as yet Henny - but I would have thought a month or so's time.. maybe i'll bump the thread and try and get a little more interest.

Apologies for dumb question guys, but just for us new blokes what does 'bump the thread' mean?

G.

Bump basically means to just post in the thread, which will bump it up to the top of the forum its in or to the most recent threads on the portal.

Kev, I didn't sticky it.. so i'll do that now :)

Cool, or should I say 8) Thanks for the explanation. Was worried that the sunroof discussion had gone off-track somewhat and that bumping it would mean we never got back to resolving the scratchy lid problem! :cry: Man this car is annoying. Anyway, like I said before, anyone interested in Stonor Park or is that one a no-go?

G.