EJ Taylor

HID - 3000k. What size bulb do i need for the low beam (not high beam)

sorry to ask stupid questions but just want to be 100% before i go plashing £££ on a HID kit.

want the replace not the high beam, not side lights, not fog.. the Normal low beam. (one you always have on in dark)

sorry to be simple, want to be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!

THANKSINGS YOUS!

Don't waste your money on HID seriously. I had a 8000K kit rigged to mine when I bought it - it was god awful. The manufacturers claims are wildly over the top and the bulbs more expensive

You'd do far better to uprate your headlight wiring loom and get some OSRAM Night Breaker Plus bulbs - H4's

Edited by tentonhammer

i got a mate in the mot side of things so thats not an issue. and i had them fitted to previous cars and if you get budget ones they are aweful. i know what ones to get. and i dont want the blue light, im after the 3000k which is a very yellow light. old school look.

sorry to ask stupid questions ...

Now apologise for posting it in a stupid place :lol:

Now apologise for posting it in a stupid place :lol:

hahaha i didnt even realise i did that! my bad! so what size are they VR6?

No idea, I don't even own a Corrado :grin:

Not even sure why I still come where lol

Thanks for the help everyone!

---------- Post added at 9:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:44 AM ----------

ok, researches seems to show the dipped beam bulb is h4? is this correct? of the thousands of you on here surly one can just confirm this? my rados bin in a garage for 2 months so i cant exactly just take a look!

It is in fact H4 you're right. I can never remember which one off the top of my head (original post amended)

VAG info:

Halogen Bulb - YD12V60/55W H4 (OEM)

H4 is both high and dipped beam, the bulbs have two filaments.

Do take care with your HIDs - if you have headlight washers and self-levelling then it's totally legal to convert them (I've seen kits for Corrados) and they'll pass their MOT. If however you just fit HID bulbs that have an H4 base on them then the beam pattern is illegal, you'll dazzle oncoming traffic, the extra heat may melt your reflectors and if you get caught then you'll get 9 points for driving an unroadworthy (and therefore uninsured) car. Your choice, obviously.

hmmm, i have been um'ing and ar'ing about it. i think the 8000K ones are obvious, but 3000k are just really yellow, to the unacknowledged copper, seem like just old bulbs, i have friends who have ran 3000k kits for a year or 2 and never had a problem. duno maaaaaan, just love the retro look the yellow lights give off, mot wont be a problem as i have a good friend in the trade.

dunoooo, :S :shrug:

Hids run cooler than standard halogens, so no reason why they should melt any reflectors. As far as the MOT goes, pop the standard H4's in before going if there is likely to be a problem. Set the aim lower to avoid dazzle and all should be good (especially if you steer clear of the blue/purple ends of the spectrum). 4300k is the norm factory colour for most manufacturers. The Feds will normally give you the opportunity to rectify the lights if they are being dickish enough to tug you, especially if you have the standard bulbs stowed away in the car somewhere.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of them in reflector headlamps particularly, retrofit ones look much better in projector headlamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm, i have been um'ing and ar'ing about it. i think the 8000K ones are obvious, but 3000k are just really yellow, to the unacknowledged copper, seem like just old bulbs, i have friends who have ran 3000k kits for a year or 2 and never had a problem. duno maaaaaan, just love the retro look the yellow lights give off, mot wont be a problem as i have a good friend in the trade.

It's not the colour that will make them pull you, it's the way you'll be blinding everyone! There's no way to make halogen reflectors aim light from an HID bulb properly - the bulbs are totally different shapes - it's absolutely not a case of 'aim them down a bit' which is why it's illegal to do! The illusion is that it looks like you can see better because all the light's being flung out sideways, but actually you just have a tiny bright patch in front of you (which damages your night vision and makes it harder for you to see ahead properly) and too little light to the front so you have less time to react to stuff in front of you. Brighter isn't better if it's in the wrong place.

There are some pics here which might help explain: [link]

Basically, if you fit HIDs in a halogen housing you're declaring to the world that you don't care if you blind everyone else on the road, because it's more important that you can see a bit better, because you're more important than them. Which is why everyone will think you're a cock.

Hids run cooler than standard halogens, so no reason why they should melt any reflectors.

True when they're in HID light units, untrue when they're in lights designed for halogen bulbs. The optics are designed for a totally different bulb output, so the focus can end up anywhere. I've seen a Transit with an HID kit fitted that had two half-inch holes melted through the plastic headlamp lenses.

As far as the MOT goes, pop the standard H4's in before going if there is likely to be a problem.

All very well passing your MOT, but if you have an accident and the other driver(s) figure out you have an illegal HID setup, they'll claim you dazzled them with your illegal mods and as the uninsured driver it'll be your fault.

Here's a video explaining exactly that but shorter:

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

It's not the colour that will make them pull you, it's the way you'll be blinding everyone! There's no way to make halogen reflectors aim light from an HID bulb properly - the bulbs are totally different shapes - it's absolutely not a case of 'aim them down a bit' which is why it's illegal to do! The illusion is that it looks like you can see better because all the light's being flung out sideways, but actually you just have a tiny bright patch in front of you (which damages your night vision and makes it harder for you to see ahead properly) and too little light to the front so you have less time to react to stuff in front of you. Brighter isn't better if it's in the wrong place.

There are some pics here which might help explain: [link]

It all depends on the headlamp, some are better than others. If the cut off is clean, it is clean, and can be set low enough. The bulb shape has nothing to do with the legalities of them, and hid halogen units can aim hids correctly, but maybe not all units. And maybe not corrodo units.

You can find pictures/videos on the web to support whatever slant you want to put on anything. Some hid kits have a shield fitted to the bulb to assist with the clean cutoff.

Basically, if you fit HIDs in a halogen housing you're declaring to the world that you don't care if you blind everyone else on the road, because it's more important that you can see a bit better, because you're more important than them. Which is why everyone will think you're a cock.

Again, some headlamps cope better than others. There is a difference between doing something, and it having the desired effect and using it, compared to fitting something that scatters all over the place and just running with it regardless. If common sense doesn't come into it, then fair enough, they are a cock.

True when they're in HID light units, untrue when they're in lights designed for halogen bulbs. The optics are designed for a totally different bulb output, so the focus can end up anywhere. I've seen a Transit with an HID kit fitted that had two half-inch holes melted through the plastic headlamp lenses.

They run cooler regardless of what unit they are in. If they won't fit in your lights because they are too long, then they are melting through the lense, not the reflectors, and it isn't a result of running hotter. If they don't fit, don't use them, that would just be daft.

All very well passing your MOT, but if you have an accident and the other driver(s) figure out you have an illegal HID setup, they'll claim you dazzled them with your illegal mods and as the uninsured driver it'll be your fault.

Not entirely true. Just because you are uninsured, doesn't make something your fault. The burden of proof would still be on the other person to prove that being dazzled would have caused the accident. It just means that if it was proved to have caused it, the expense would be yours and not covered on your insurance (and suspension or points on your license most likely - if the police were involved). All mods are done at your own risk.

Bottom line is, if you were right it would be legal.

I've said all along that HIDs are fine in headlights designed to take them, but the HID bulbs with H4 bases cannot comply with the esha when fitted to a halogen unit because the light output (nothing to do with bulb shape as you suggest!) is too different.

You're obviously not interested in anything but your own opinion so I'll leave you to it :)

Stone

You're obviously not interested in anything but your own opinion so I'll leave you to it :)

That is not true, I am always interested in other opinions. What I feel compelled to reply to is incorrect/inaccurate information. Or blanket statements that are only partly true.

They are illegal, no question. They are illegal if you fit hid bulbs without the other legal requirements. If you put auto levelling and washers on, an after market hid kit can be legal. Nothing to do with bulb shape, beam patterns etc. those other two requirements do nothing to effect those qualities. You can fail an mot on beam alignment/pattern (be non road worthy) with halogen bulbs in a halogen unit, just as you could with factory hids or halogen units with hid bulbs.

You mentioned bulb shape, maybe I just misread how you wrote it.

I am interested believe me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tigerfish