Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Anyone due at Stealth for May 7th?

Cars booked in for a good 20,000 mile service (as I think the last one was just a basic service) and to have the coolant flushed & replaced ready for summer.

Just wondered if i'm likely to see anyone else when I drop my car off on the morning? :)

Day before Inters as well!! :)

Hm... i'm actually just about to hit 100k, so do I actually need to mention to them thats whats due? :(

What kinda stuff needs to be done? Sounds like a wallet beating event :(

You have a G60, jims16v (confusingly), so nowt particularly that springs to mind. My appointment may be pushed out to the 7th May if the Schricks don't get in by early next week (which I am beginning to doubt now) for my "the full kevhaywire" service...

I'll check the handbook just to make sure.. what kind of delights have you VR owners got in store for you then at 100k?

And as for the name thing.. I just can't get used to being called jimsG60. Well.. maybe i'll try again.

Ah, that makes more sense.

It's the timing chains, init? "Common Corrado Problem", well "Common VW VR6 Problem".

what kind of delights have you VR owners got in store for you then at 100k?

Yes I'd like to know this as well. :?: Mines on 98k with FVWSH so far but it's due a big service so I may well take it to Stealth in early June time as it seems to be THE place to take your beloved C! :) What's the hourly labour rate there?

Not too sure on the exact rate, but its pretty good.. better than VW prices, and you get proper peace of mind with Stealth as well.

My 20,000 mile service is going to cost me £175 - though obviously if I need new bits that'll go up :)

Hm... i'm actually just about to hit 100k,

You as well? Mine's at 98*** miles. Let's see who gets there first :lol:

Drive belt springs to mind ...

What exactly are you having done for the 175 quid?

Yup, VR6s and the timing chains :lol: One of the reasons why I don't have one, as the ones I was looking at, and having quizzed the owners, all I got back was "Timing chain?", "VW claim it should last" and all sorts of other rubbish :|

Tempest

I'm not entirely sure what that service gives you for your money.. I mean this is me we are talking about, the almighty 'unknowlegeable about cars'! All I know is last service was a 10,000 mile service - a service is now due, so I figured a 20,000 mile service should do it! :) :)

i'm pretty sure last time I had it done that it was all belts, sparkplugs, and all the other usual stuff you have done at a service!

Well, the handbook / haynes manuals tell you whats involved and what the manufacturers recomend and when...

VW's 10k miles Inspection service is little more than an oil change, the 20k one is filters / fluids etc..., G60 plugs every 40k's

Stealth will just do anything that needs doing or report things that will need attention in the future...

In the last 12 moths I have had all belts and fluiids changed - If you just had your car serviced always at VW and no other work done then the PAS, clutch fluid and coolant would never be changed unless there was a problem in that area :roll:

The VAG service history is good and at least I know the parts used were correct, Oil filters etc but once these cars get to 100k miles / 10 years old they need a bit more looking after!

My car has 85k miles on it with a full vag service history, I changed the fuel filter a few months ago as the pump was noisey and I could not see it had been changed on any service reciepts, It certainly looked like the original and the new one instantly quietend the pump down :?

Indeed.. they were very thorough on my last full service with them.

The bill came to £400 last time but the list of stuff they replaced or sorted was as long as my arm, so I was pretty satisfied. Besides, it let me know what I was in for with Corrado ownership nice and early into the 'experience' :)

Well service complete!

I got Stealth to swap out the flanges from the front and side of the engine block to cure that coolant leak, complete with the o-rings, and the temp senders etc - a big thanks to Henny for sorting me out with those senders at HALF the price of VW's items!

Got them to check out that god awful quickshift, and they found it was out of alignment and was consequently making gear changes difficult - though even after adjustment, i'm still finding it a bit of a chore but its much better than it was before. What is the appeal of quickshifts!

Only other thing that needed doing was the rear wheel bearings at £8 a pop.. so not too bad a price after all :)

Shame it was pretty naff traffic all the way back - was ready to open her up a bit. Car certainly felt a bit smoother under accelleration! :)

felt a bit smoother under accelleration

What did they do then, set the timing or something?

Tempest

No. I just think the car felt better for a good service. Had new spark plugs also.

Got them to check out that god awful quickshift, and they found it was out of alignment and was consequently making gear changes difficult - though even after adjustment, i'm still finding it a bit of a chore but its much better than it was before. What is the appeal of quickshifts!

Jim, take the damn thing off and fit a late 02A counter weight if not already fitted.

Then fill up with Redline MT90 and providing your synchro rings are reasonably healthy (i.e no bad crunching from 1st to 2nd when cold) you'll get a box that feels new.

I kid you not, my VR box at 93K with MT90 is sublime. It's the best shift I've ever experienced in any car. No slop in the lever at all. It's all tight and I can swap cogs with my little finger :lol:

K