Saichy

Carb advice

Hi all been looking into what to do to my 9a engine and im thinking about carbs. Is there much of a power gain? Also what is needed?

I was thinking about doing this, even bought some twin dellortos which are still in the loft. From what I got told there is a fair bit of maintenance to carbs & it will push your petrol consumption quite a bit making a daily in to a weekend car.

I think the power increase would only be greatly noticed if you ported your head, got some kr cams, fitted a four branch mani,got a decent exhaust system & had the 9a remapped but that would be true even if you didn't fit the carbs.

Don't take my word for it though, I sure someone will correct me.

Would sound amazing though:thumbleft:

Rory

If carbs are in good order, there's no fettling needed. I ran new 45 webers on my 16v mk1 and after initial setting up it started on the button and ticked over perfectly every single day until it got stripped... Wish I could find time to get it back on the road :-( There should be an old vid on YouTube, mk1 golf 16v 45 webers.

Ps: It was rolling roaded at 174 brake horse :-D

----------

Sent from iPhone 4S via Tapatalk while on the crapper

Hard to say really, it's 10 years or more since I last drove it. I'd say pottering about it was pretty good (Setup is key obviously) I'd say nowhere near as bad as the current Corrado, although hard to compare with fuel prices these days.

Carbs can be quite fun if done correctly.. :-)

Running 2x double 51.5mm Weber IDA's on my beetle, runs quite "smoothly" and goes like hell...

On topic though, seen carbs (usually webers) fitted to some 16V's here in Norway.. Looks nice, sounds nice and if done correctly, runs sweet..

Edited by wormy