Sign in to follow this  
paulw

Locking Wheel Bolts

Hello

Im getting a set of 17" BBS RX's this week after saving for ages, and i was wondering if any boby has these on already or if any body can recommend what wheel locking bolts i can use and where to get them from.

Cheers Paul

Usual car accesories shop. I have had 2 types:

1. 3 pin type - Ok but you cannot put much torque through them as the pins bend. They are a complete nightmare to get of if the keys buggers up. Dont ever let anyone put them on with an air gun.

2. Splined type - These seem a lot better and able to withstand more torque. Dont know who make them for sure but its McGuard or something similar.

halfords also do a type with an inserted shape on the top of a round bolt head... I've just got some for my G60 and they seem quite good...

I used to use Astrali locking bolts, which have a set of 4 lugs of different lengths around the outside of a Key which fit into slots on the edge of the face of the bolt... I've used these bolts on my last 3 VWs and they've been really good...

AVOID the 3 pin types... They are stupidly easy to undo with one of the "universal socket" things which have lots of spring loaded pins in a round socket.. :?

This came at the right time for me. :)

As i too have bought a set of BBS Rxes :lol: and was looking at getting some new locking nuts.

I had the 3 pin bolts fitted before and never though about them coming off with that type of socket :shock:

cheers guys.........right time ..right place.

heres my thoughts........and I am also on the look out for good ones for puting on when I get my new wheels....

My car came with the 3 stud type on the bbs's....and didnt come with the adapter...... :shock: oh sh*t I thought when i wanted to start work on the brakes....but I looked at the heads...they are a shitty soft alloy......i took myself a 18 or 19mm (cant remember which) socket head, a short extension, and a 6 lb hammer. 2 short swift hits an the socket seemed to just slide over the locking bolts - and out they came. So if i can do that why cant a theif...making them 'not so locking' wheel bolts. :(

The ones that I had on my golf "looked" like they were a harder metal (still alloy tho) for the head.....but then I havet tried to remove them the wrong way - I suspect it might not be much harder than the others - perhaps requiring 3 or even 4 hits from the hammer :shock:

With this in mind, is there a better version available? I think, that if anyone made stainless or even regular steel bolts it would make it a good bit more effort to remove them without the key. Any one know of suppliers of this type?

Try the astrali ones... they are a lot wider than a standard bolt with the holes for the lugs around that wider part... you won't be able to hammer a socket onto them 'cos it'll be the same width as the socket... 8)

See HERE for details... 8)

Yeah, the Astrali ones are great but Halfords no longer do them :(

I don't think you can buy straight from them but the link above should tell you the suppliers...

This came at the right time for me. :)

As i too have bought a set of BBS Rxes :lol: and was looking at getting some new locking nuts.

I had the 3 pin bolts fitted before and never though about them coming off with that type of socket :shock:

cheers guys.........right time ..right place.

still won't stop yer paper boy nicking yer valve caps tho :lol: :lol: .......seriously tho ive heard good reports about the McGard wheel-locks........and surprisingly with a name like that they seemingly are sourced from germany :wink:

would be nice if they offered some money back garauntee......

if you can get them off without the key, then you can have your money back!

i got some custom made ones coz my bolts are very special.... LOL

they are like totally diffrent to any other wheel bolts i've seen.. the bolts all came with the wheels i think the bolts are made by areospeed

still won't stop yer paper boy nicking yer valve caps tho :lol: :lol: .......seriously tho ive heard good reports about the McGard wheel-locks........and surprisingly with a name like that they seemingly are sourced from germany :wink:

Nope but my locking valve caps would have most of the little oiks who nick such things stumped for a while! ;) :lol:

I'm prettty certain that I've got McGard ones on my Corrado now 'cos I needed a new set that were 10mm longer than standard and these were the best looking (security wise!) that I came across... 8)

I would recommend Gorilla brand Spline lug bolts. They are relatively cheap and stay shiny forever. They are pretty light and utilize a full set of matching lug bolts instead of one wheel lock with regular lugs per wheel. Available in 20 pc. 14x1.5mm for VR6 and 16 pc. 12x1.5mm for G60. Available in ball seat(most BBS wheels) and cone seat(most other aftermarket wheels). But like all theft deterrent lug bolts, for every set on a car, is a thief with the key to remove your lug bolts. It doesnt matter what type of lug bolts you have. :D

-Juven