Jim

Taken the plunge on decent winter tyres...

Well this year I decided I'd had enough of dreading the arrival of the snow. And what with wanting to visit family over christmas, and some family members with health problems I needed to remain "road worthy" as much as I could be so took the plunge - not on the Corrado though I should point out.

Gone for some 205/55/16 Michelin Alpin A4's (get very good reviews) for my Octavia - going to be interesting dropping from 18" to 16" (I've gone with the tyre and steel wheel combo from MyTyres) but will give some thoughts on them as and when they're on the car - and of course when (if) it snows.

I had exactly the same tyres on my winter mk4 Golf last year Jim, and I've used them again on another winter mk4 that I've bought for this year. In my opinion (and in 195/65x15 flavour) they are absolutely fantastic.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, but I'm sure you'll get on with them, even when it comes to normal driving without snow below 7 degrees.

i bought a set of wheel and tyres from Pat McCrotch during the summer, just about to get corrado insured so looking forward to testing out the winter tyres.

its mainly the pulling away from a standstill i feel i need better grip

I had exactly the same tyres on my winter mk4 Golf last year Jim, and I've used them again on another winter mk4 that I've bought for this year. In my opinion (and in 195/65x15 flavour) they are absolutely fantastic.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, but I'm sure you'll get on with them, even when it comes to normal driving without snow below 7 degrees.

On non-snowy roads, in conditions like we have currently, how did you find handling and road noise compared to normal all season tyres? I've never driven on winter tyres so have no idea what to expect.

There fine, a wee bit noiser but it aint like an old Landy with BF's. Ive had mine on for the last month, Ive got the Continental ones though on the beemer, cannot remember what make. Pretty good though as I came into works car park this mornng and parked up them almost fell on my arse when I got out the car.

One thing you will find is they tyres feel like they move about a bit more which will be exaggerated by your drop to 16in. Did you check they will fit over your brake by the way? I actually look forward to the snow even more now.

its mainly the pulling away from a standstill i feel i need better grip

They do help with that a bit but it's in the braking where you feel the main benefit of winter tyres.

There fine, a wee bit noiser but it aint like an old Landy with BF's. Ive had mine on for the last month, Ive got the Continental ones though on the beemer, cannot remember what make. Pretty good though as I came into works car park this mornng and parked up them almost fell on my arse when I got out the car.

One thing you will find is they tyres feel like they move about a bit more which will be exaggerated by your drop to 16in. Did you check they will fit over your brake by the way? I actually look forward to the snow even more now.

Yeah - did a fair bit of reading up as I was concerned about brake clearance and whole bunch of guys on Briskoda are running that size wheel and tyre on their VRS's so should be all good :)

Well this year I decided I'd had enough of dreading the arrival of the snow.

you've been reading the daily mail predictions of a mini-ice-age winter on the way haven't you Jim? :)

you've been reading the daily mail predictions of a mini-ice-age winter on the way haven't you Jim? :)

Actually I read that AFTER ordering the tyres - and thought to myself "Bring it on" ;)

Luckily for me the Corrado will be tucked up over winter. I do have a set of winter tyres for the GS430 though, and would recommend them all day long. 300bhp through rear wheels with 275 width tyres is a nightmare in snow and ice. No such trouble with the winter 275s on, well worth it :)

I am going to buy Winter tyres this week. Would people advise 195 or 205 widths? I am on standard wheels, will be on the Storm BBS wheels most likely, or maybe the original Speedlines. I know my summer tyres are 205s, but isnt narrower going to be better in snow/ice? Any advice much appreciated. The 195s are obviously cheaper, inclined to go with these, any major reason why I shouldn't? Thanks in advance chaps

I've just fitted my winter wheels/tyres. Had a set of speedlines refurbished over the summer, and fitted some Toyo snowprox S953 tyres, which I brought from camskills. They where quite cheap at £49 each and seem ok so far. So bring on the snow to see if they live up to my expectations.

I've just fitted my winter wheels/tyres. Had a set of speedlines refurbished over the summer, and fitted some Toyo snowprox S953 tyres, which I brought from camskills. They where quite cheap at £49 each and seem ok so far. So bring on the snow to see if they live up to my expectations.

Which size did you go for, that sounds ideal mate

mine are 195's

Sorry, to clarify on standard Speedies?. Are BBS Storms just the same for tyre fitment?. Think I'm gonna be fitting them to the Storm alloys?

Just dived in to this too - Conti TS830s 235 45 17s now fitted on the A4 and for the C just ordered Hankook W310s in 195 50 15s (£65 a corner fitted and balanced) to go on a spare set of speedies that I've got sat in the garage.....

Bring on the snow!

photonxv.jpg

love it! had bout 1mm of snow this morn in ox, ice age is coming haha let us know what there like man. was thinking about a set for the van.

No snow up here yet... but I'll be sure to report back on what they're like!

If they are anything like the conti TS 800 i have on my 8v daily they'll be superb mate, actually ran mine all year so looking forward to seeing if they have suffered as a consequence and need replacing on the front. I needed new summer tyres too on the other set of wheels so thought i'd just run the winters all year considering how wet it's been.

love it! had bout 1mm of snow this morn in ox, ice age is coming haha let us know what there like man. was thinking about a set for the van.

I just put some Uniroyal SnowMAx on the T25, which used to slither all over the place. Thing is transformed - went anywhere the other night, could do hill starts on steep slopes and thick snow! Got mine from Opoenoa (or something like that!). £52 each delivered for 184C14

The Alpin A4's reviewed pretty highly often winning group tests or coming in the top 3-4 so I'm pretty confident they'll be good.

Even on the cold roads round here, whilst I'm finding the car more likely to understeer slightly when cornering (because the wheels are quite a bit thinner than my 18's) I'm already finding it feels far less squirmy and twitchy on the really cold wet roads when driving first thing in the morning or late at night.. no perceptible increase in road noise and ride quality seems a bit better too (bigger side walls I guess). Made the steering lighter as well - couldn't believe the weight of the alloys when I took them off - the steels are significantly lighter.