Mancorr

Should I get a VR for my daily?

In need of some help here!

I have enough money to buy a VR6 Corrado. Now she would be used as my daily car and I do 41 miles per day, about 20 of these miles are town and the rest B roads......Will a VR6 Raddo kill my bank balance as in fuel costs doing this amount of miles? I know my 1.8 16v could achieve 32MPG if driven with care and my MK3 Golf VR6 I was doing mostly A roads and with care getting 23MPG.

Any input would be great.

A vr driven carefully can produce a good mpg, traffic and town are going to be a bit higher of course . Also if its serviced and looked after it will be in your favour . I got 38mpg on a long run at 70 mph . As long as you dont boot it [well every now and again goes without saying lol], you should be ok, its a given it wont be as good on fuel as a valver , but hey you will be driving a vr .

Edited by robrado974

There was much less of a difference between 2.0 16v and a Vr6 than I was expecting when I changed over

If you can control your right foot there's no reason why you shouldn't see 35mpg

Do it, life's too short for boring fuel efficient cars. Having said that a well maintained VR6 is surprisingly frugal with a careful right foot. The problem is the loud pedal is too tempting at the first sign of an open road, just to hear the growl of that 6!

If you're doing that sort of miles, why not convert it to LPG? I've never regretted it, but you do need to do a fair amount of miles, not just to recoup the cost but because you run the first mile on petrol

Use mine as a daily for a 30 mile round trip of A roads with 4 miles of town and average about 28mpg per tank - MFA gives a more generous MPG figure but I've more confidence in number of miles since last fill up / number of gallons need to refill!

Petrol isn't cheap, but the price is worth it in my books!

Thanks for the replies!

Well it looks like a VR6 Raddo maybe on my drive very soon! I have read that the Raddo VR6 is faster than the Golf MK3 VR6, that would be much fun as my Golf VR6 was fast, well quicker to 0-60 and a better top speed than my Pug 306 GTI-6. The noise my VR6 Golf made was addictive, lovely car. Working on her was fairly easy apart from when I went to change the plugs and broke an HT lead as they are sods to remove!! Also it looks like Raddo's are falling in to classic car insurance now which will be kind on the bank balance.

The only problems I've had with mine is that it needed sooo much work when I got it and many of the parts needing to be replaced were obsolete from dealers, so be prepared to pay for overpriced second hand bits...