petemcr

288mm/312mm brake conversion

Morning everyone

apologies if this has been covered before, but I wouldn't mind some clarification

I've just sourced some 288mm calipers/carriers for the brake conversion and did a search on the wiki and found the 312mm brake conversion guide... on it it references the 288mm calipers being the same size

this is a legit question but, can you run 312mm discs with 288mm calipers if they're the same size? or am I way out, I will be buying the discs soon so be good to know which to go for

cheers

The calipers are the same, but the carriers and discs are specific to the size.

So if you want to run 288s, you will need the 288 discs and carriers.

HTH

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Reading your question again, to run 312s you can use your 288 calipers, but will need 312 carriers for the 312 discs to fit

The calipers are the same, but the carriers and discs are specific to the size.

So if you want to run 288s, you will need the 288 discs and carriers.

HTH

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Reading your question again, to run 312s you can use your 288 calipers, but will need 312 carriers for the 312 discs to fit

Right cool, thanks for clearing that up mate

Think I'll buy some carriers next week and discs/pads

[/color]Reading your question again, to run 312s you can use your 288 calipers, but will need 312 carriers for the 312 discs to fit

You'll also need some 6mm-thick M12 spacers. The 288 discs are flat but the hub section is dished outward on the 312 discs (so the contact area is closer to the bodywork) and the spacers make everything line up again.

I've got 312s on mine and they're a great improvement over stock - not tried 288s though, apparently there's not a massive difference.

Stone

I don't know what to do now, I was discussing it with a friend last night and I'd decided to just put the 288's on for now.

I'd need some 312mm carriers which seem to be quite costly, or i'm looking in the wrong place, but I wouldn't like to waste money buying 288 discs when I could have just got the 312mm

what do I do?!

You could look out for second hand carriers,i know they are over £100 each new.If you are not in a hurry to change them,some are bound to come up

wow blady good info there! so what vehicles use the 312 caliper carriers ? r32 right? anything else? also im guessing the discs are from the same car?, and the 6mm m12 spacers is that to space the caliper bolts out? or the caliper carrier bolts? thanks

The 6mm spacer is to space out the carrier as the 312mm discs have a higher offset. You'll need longer bolts too and they have to be rates to a certain tensile strength. I've also bought slightly longer hoses for the from as I believe if you use the standard hoses there is a chance they'll be over extended. I'm sure there is a sticky in the drivetrain category that tells you everything

Go 288mm, they are just as good as 312's and you can run standard wheels (solitudes/speedlines)

While scavenging around on the net I've come across a few people who have said the 288's are a lot better over the stock brakes, with braided line which brings me right on to swampy

the custom lines you do, are they braided lines? and how much for a set?

Yes they are stainless steel braided

A pair of fronts is £28.50 deliverd

You sir... have a private message