captainredeye

Battery cover or insulation

Have a semi cheap battery in the c I say cheap it still cost £60 a couple of years ago, this morning I had to bump start and have found the battery goes dead when it's cold I am planning on getting a nice new Bosch battery but was wondering would some kind of insulation prevent this from happening wether it's a new or old ?plus is my current one on its way out as this happens only when its cold and I have charged this one up many a time.

Indeed insulating the battery would prevent this from happening, my old astra van has some sort of battery insulation blanket on it which im thinking of taking off as the van is going the journey soon, it also makes the engine bay look a bit neater.......

As the battery sits behind the left headlight, in cold weather there is an icy blast at travelling speeds comes in through the gaps of the left headlight. Chilling the battery at this time of year will considerably reduced the ability to convert electrical currrent (amps) to stored charge from the alternator.

So a padded cover type would be of benefit in it being charged and also keeping it at a higher level of charge generally to prevent sulphating and freezing. You might even consider putting polystyrene cut sheet (0.5cm thick) in poly bags on the front face and side panels of the battery outside walls inside the battery padded cover to enhance the insulation.

Even then, if journey's are short, consider charging on a trickle type charger for 12 hours once a week. My daily (not a C.) does 12 trips a week at 6 miles each, 18 mins duration, 1 engine start cold for each trip. In winter the battery voltage slowly drops despite insulation and being at the back of the engine bay.

At the begining of the week, it will start off at 12.6 - 12.4 volts (100% - 75% charged) but after 2 trips daily in the week, the 12th trip + 1 hour, the voltage is down to 12.1 volts (~30% charged). The voltage check is 1 hour after the engine stopping to allow the battery to settle at its nominal voltage. With the cold, the low maintenance battery doesn't get enough time to store the charge but in summer it does. Longer trips of an hour plus and the battery does get fully charged.

Its also important to keep a battery fully charged in winter as when low on charge, they will freeze up earlier as the temperature drops, due to the water content being higher. This can result in damaging the battery cell material.

Edited by RW1

I was looking for the insulation cover for my 16v like the one fitted to my previous VR6 and as usual anything Corrado (or VW) related seemed to be attracting premium prices - but I got a very good condition BMW one of eBay for about £10 - fits perfectly and apart from protecting the Battery (-5 here yeterday ) - it also does tidy up the engine bay

HTH

Mine has a Vauxhall Astra battery cover fitted as old one was tatty.Well worth having something on there

Well carparts4less have come through at 65 for a Bosch 5 year silver ,60 less than halfords and battery cover for crimbo me thinks.

I only do short journeys I would charge the car up every weekend but I honestly have no where practical to do it, maybe I alternate batteries once a week.

Edited by captainredeye
i not write all i wanted to write, yes!

Well carparts4less have come through at 65 for a Bosch 5 year silver ,60 less than halfords and battery cover for crimbo me thinks.

I only do short journeys I would charge the car up every weekend but I honestly have no where practical to do it, maybe I alternate batteries once a week.

eurocarparts are the same company as carparts4less... had an email from euro offering 15% of batts this morning.... i bought a bosch s4 of them a while back on the same discount 4 about £47 quid.

I used a battery blanket from a mk3 Golf. They are also starting to creap uo in price though as they are becoming less common, but its another option regardless.