RadoVirgin

Carbon fibre skinning experiment

looks funky although idd prefer leather in that area, iv thought about haven a bash at maken carbon stuff although the price of it is to much for me to gamble on,would love a carbon bonnet and maybe front wings,,,

Yeah I wish I had the facilities to make bonnets and wings etc but it's just not possible on a budget. At the moment I'm just skinning parts with a single sheet of carbon fibre.

I wanted to do the doorcards as my interior is all black leather apart from thee doorcards and I wasn't going to pay £200+ for a set of leather ones! Plus I don't think I've ever seen this done!

When you say skinning is this apply a carbon skin to the door card instead of say leather. or are you using one as a template to make a pure carbon doorcard.

Does any one know of a company making carbon parts in the UK it seems like all I have seen is from the states with massive lumps of import tax bunged on top

Yes I am applying a layer of carbon fibre instead of putting leather.

The main issue with making carbon fibre parts is the need for a mould and pressurised oven(autoclave) in order to produce parts without imperfections. It's a very expensive process to set up but one you have the tooling it's relatively easy.

Looks good mate:thumbleft: Be sure to let us know how it goes!

I've just been searching for the old 'Carbon parts' threads but I can never get the search to work properly so may as well post here...Searching ebay I came across this seller and looking at his feedback, maybe worth a shot for those wanting a group buy of carbon bits?

Neil.

Edited by Riley

The ebay seller is on here aadams1x, contacted me last night with there website http://www.lwsdesign.co.uk/ thought it a bit dodge as i couldnt get the website to load but managed this morning and having seen the ebay stuff looks like they have a fair few trick bits to be had.

Just watChed all of those you tube vids, impressive stuff but a lot of prep and hard work but awesome results :)

yea its all in the prep, so once that mould is made and aslong as its good it can be re used again so the second time around wont take so long, radovirgin go for it if you have the time and money, but how to videos all ways look easier then they are so i wouldnt expect it to be a breeze,

if i was going to do it i think i would paint the parts body colour anyway, so i wonder if i would need to use the vacum pump + bag? i know that helps pull the resin around and get the air bubbles out but if im painting it all those imperfections can be filled, obviously the less air bubbles there are in the carbon fibre the stronger it is but im sure brushing the resin on the same way you do fibre glass would just be as strong it just wouldnt produce a show gloss finish on the finished side right? anyone know for sure if its ok to do that?

edit: lol you brush the resin on anyway, and apparently you dont have to use a bag you just have to get as much air out as possible

http://www.diycarbonfibre.co.uk/

tooling gel coat £15.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREEN-TOOLING-GELCOAT-1kg-KIT-Catalyst-Syringe-Included-FOR-FIBREGLASS-moulds-/251097355917?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a7691968d

mould wax £12.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600g-Yellow-Wax-Fillet-Block-for-Mould-Patterns-/220734703242?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3364d0468a

mould release agent = £10.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ml-L-R-PVA-Mould-Release-Parting-Agent-For-Fibreglass-Mouldings-/310351657022?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item484266783e

fibre glass for mould x2 @ £6.25 = £12.50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibre-Glass-Mat-Matting-8-sq-ft-/300509821671?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item45f7c7fae7

resin+ hardner for mould & product = £30.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5kg-GENERAL-PURPOSE-FIBREGLASS-RESIN-HARDNER-CATALYST-SYRINGE-KIT-MOULD-/251037798104?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item3a7304ced8

+ a few extra bits n bobs like good quality brushs that dont leave brissels behind! so you should be able to make a decent wing sized mould for aroud £80.00

and then its just a case of adding the carbon which looks to be about another £70.00 for a wing, so your looking at gambleing around £150 to make a wing sized product, + your time, probably other things needed that iv missed aswell,

or there complete mould makeing kit http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/starter-kits/uni-mould-complete-mould-making-kit.aspx

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

It's not too bad as I have access to the composite bay on the military base I work at which means we have all of the consumables including vacuum pumps and heat lamps. I'm going to have to give it a go after Easter!

It's not too bad as I have access to the composite bay on the military base I work at which means we have all of the consumables including vacuum pumps and heat lamps. I'm going to have to give it a go after Easter!

you bugger!!! yes you deffinatley have to give it ago now you said that! lol your be makeing bullet proof kevlar bonnets in no time

The ebay seller is on here aadams1x, contacted me last night with there website http://www.lwsdesign.co.uk/ thought it a bit dodge as i couldnt get the website to load but managed this morning and having seen the ebay stuff looks like they have a fair few trick bits to be had.

I think LWS must have gotten hold of Performance Trims old moulds etc. On his website, under the Corrado bonnet is pics of my car and bonnet that Mike took after we fitted it, lol.

I priced up enough materials to do resin infusion method on a bonnet. Not including the pump or pipework the total came to £450 to make the mould and for the carbon weave to do it. The mould for that is around £100. It's not for the light hearted and takes a big wedge of cash to make carbon panels.

However...... I have found a guy who has all the gear to do it and he might be willing to 'give' me some stuff to try out making a panel. I'll enquire about it when I'm picking up my engine block which he was having powdercoated for me.

I think LWS must have gotten hold of Performance Trims old moulds etc. On his website, under the Corrado bonnet is pics of my car and bonnet that Mike took after we fitted it, lol.

is LWS not just performance trim re born? right click the web page to save as a favorite and it comes up named performance trim web page??

Hi,

I am just waiting for a response from one of the moderators as would love to be a trade advertiser here for lwsdesign.

I will rename andrew_lwsdesign hopefully once approved

Happy to do group deals and currently can produce Bonnets, Roof skins and Spoilers for the Corrado...

---------- Post added at 5:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:21 PM ----------

is LWS not just performance trim re born? right click the web page to save as a favorite and it comes up named performance trim web page??

We have bought all of the Corrado moulds, rights to the images and the website which has been rebranded, I have just contacted our website designer as all references to performance trim should have been removed...we have no association with them at all apart from purchasing the moulds...

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi,

I am just waiting for a response from one of the moderators as would love to be a trade advertiser here for lwsdesign.

Happy to do group deals and currently can produce Bonnets, Roof skins and Spoilers for the Corrado...

---------- Post added at 5:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:21 PM ----------

We have bought all of the Corrado moulds, rights to the images and the website which has been rebranded, I have just contacted our website designer as all references to performance trim should have been removed...we have no association with them at all apart from purchasing the moulds...

Thanks,

Andrew

thats cool, do i get a free bonnet for spotting that?

No problem at all, although our prices for compulsory postage just went up to £640 :-)

Ill collect, :)

Sorry, this is going off thread.

Edited by rolex

Hi,

Thanks,

Andrew

I will watch this with interest but will wait to see what can be produced in the flesh before i commit as i feel spoonfed have a very strong quality product unfortunately all i have is pic's of spoonfed product's i do hope you can provide quality product's not just for the sake of the forum member's but also to show british product's can mix it with the best:thumbleft:

Hi,

We produce very high quality products and i can assure you were would not last very long on forums if our products were not upto standard. We have been operating an ebay store for the past year with 100% positive feedback making infused Carbon Roofs, Engine Covers, Bonnets and door cards for Lotus, VW and BMW's. People are buying with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and this forum has already generated a roof skin and spoiler which has been collected in person.

We also have working with us 1 or potentially 2 old Performance Trim engineers during busy times so the products are every bit as good as in some cases come from the same moulds and even the same engineers.

Do let me know if you have any queries, always happy to help.