Critical_Mass

Leaking sunroof (sorry) - not drains.

Hi all,

Need some help.

My sunroof is leaking, its not the drains. they are fine. But somehow water is getting into the cabin. I've taken the roof lining off and poured water over the roof and i can see water getting in via a hole on either front corner. It looks like the holes are from factory. But when water gets into the channel - the channel the levers sit in that allows the wind deflector to go up and down as the sunroof is open/closed. Water will drain towards the front and go down the whole and onto the roof lining. Ive posted some picks circling the hole from below and above.

However water is getting in at the rear of the sunroof too. But i cant see where its coming in at the rear of the sunroof.

There's a seal that goes around the opening of the sunroof, can be seen when the sunroof is retracted into the roof. Could it be this letting water in? (see first pic)

I cant see anything else it could be, im at a loss. The front and rear drains are not blocked and are connected.

20121215_125047_zps0ceb913c.jpg.html

hole from above -

20121215_125520_zps750d5dc3.jpg

hole from below -

20121215_124957_zpsa4ad7e46.jpg

Water getting in at the rear -

20121215_130804_zps91f760db.jpg

20121215_130807_zps4ef69d73.jpg

Water getting in at the front -

20121215_130814_zps72900a07.jpg

20121215_130819_zps71b5d485.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Critical_Mass

Mine looks different

da8ysu4y.jpg

Or am I taking the wrong angle ?

On further inspection,it looks like you have a cover strip missing ! A kind of flashing

Edited by dragon green

Cheers Dragon, but at the wrong angle im afraid. Need to see under the wind deflector. If you take a look at my pic for reference. Need to see in the channel the metal rod for the wind deflector sits.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Right taken another look and pushed the sunroof trim back into the roof. There is a gap between the roof and the sunroof seal. But the seal does butt up to the roof completely at one end. Its a small gap, but im guessing its not supposed to be there. I can also push the sunroof back a smidge which does close the gap but its still there a little.

Im guessing the sunroof shouldnt be able to move like this. Also is there supposed to be some slight movement when pressing down on the sunroof, which does stop the water from getting in. Is this movement supposed to be there?

Ive also sealed the holes at the front i was talking about.

I may try a new seal and see if that helps.

20121216_120953_zps4c7acae5.jpg

Can anyone tell me if parking on a hill could cause an issue. The large amount of water pouring into the drain channels and with the channels being on a slant due to the hill, the water just pours over the edges?

ive been having a search on your behalf,found a lot on fixing the mechanisms,but hardly anything with your symptons !

Have a look at this (about half way down) may be of some use

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13856&highlight=sunroof

ah cheers Dragon, i googled it but didnt find much and as you say not with my symptoms. Im starting to think its due to the incline the car is sat on. It is a relatively steep drive.

Cheers Dragon. Im putting money on it being due to the slope of the drive. I've siliconed up those holes at the front and appear to have stopped leaking at the front - not sure if the holes are meant to be there or what though :-/

May have to test it on a flat surface. Bit odd if it is the slope.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

It did actually. But i assumed it was through those holes i mentioned.

I think ive got a new seal coming in Jan. Assuming the supplier's computer is correct.

Cheers Dragon. Im putting money on it being due to the slope of the drive. I've siliconed up those holes at the front and appear to have stopped leaking at the front - not sure if the holes are meant to be there or what though :-/

May have to test it on a flat surface. Bit odd if it is the slope.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

It did actually. But i assumed it was through those holes i mentioned.

I think ive got a new seal coming in Jan. Assuming the supplier's computer is correct.

Hello m8

I agree it would be rather odd for a leak to be ONLY caused by the incline on which a rado is sat.

I have an issue where the trim around the outer panel of the sunroof, possibly called the outer seal, does not stay fully up & thus sags down but i do not have any leaks. From what ive read the part i mention is only aesthetic & it is the drain channels & drains that actually stop the water entering the cabin

If this bloody rain stops i will take a pic of the section underneath the wind deflector & post it so you can compare :)

Are you sure your drains are really clear ?

I only ask,as I had trouble with one of the rears,while I had the roof lining out,I had to take the drain pipe off (with help from a heat gun)and clean the roof drain out with a small bottle brush !

This was after it had been in the bodyshop and all the dust and crap had caused a small blockage,but not enough to stop small amounts of water to pass.

Mine's parked on a flat drive,and when you put a hose on it,you should have four equallish puddles, I didn't,so that's how I knew on mine

Hello m8

I agree it would be rather odd for a leak to be ONLY caused by the incline on which a rado is sat.

I have an issue where the trim around the outer panel of the sunroof, possibly called the outer seal, does not stay fully up & thus sags down but i do not have any leaks. From what ive read the part i mention is only aesthetic & it is the drain channels & drains that actually stop the water entering the cabin

If this bloody rain stops i will take a pic of the section underneath the wind deflector & post it so you can compare :)

yes thats my understanding too mate. But then it begs the question, how is the water getting out of the drain channels on onto the sunroof inner panel. I thought it could be over flowing as the channel is on a slope, but the water will still be level - if that makes sense?

---------- Post added at 1:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:34 PM ----------

Are you sure your drains are really clear ?

I only ask,as I had trouble with one of the rears,while I had the roof lining out,I had to take the drain pipe off (with help from a heat gun)and clean the roof drain out with a small bottle brush !

This was after it had been in the bodyshop and all the dust and crap had caused a small blockage,but not enough to stop small amounts of water to pass.

Mine's parked on a flat drive,and when you put a hose on it,you should have four equallish puddles, I didn't,so that's how I knew on mine

Im pretty positive they're clear, well the fronts definately are. I'll double check the rears. But its parked down hill at the mo and the rear of the sunroof panel is getting wet. The water wont be able to get to the rear drains with it being down hill. So there must be something else.

I'll park it on flat surface and pour water over it, see what happens

yes thats my understanding too mate. But then it begs the question, how is the water getting out of the drain channels on onto the sunroof inner panel. I thought it could be over flowing as the channel is on a slope, but the water will still be level - if that makes sense?

Yeah that makes sense - it is a puzzle!! unfortunately the rain was pouring still during my lunch, i will try & get 1 done & uploaded as soon as i have chance

Yeah that makes sense - it is a puzzle!! unfortunately the rain was pouring still during my lunch, i will try & get 1 done & uploaded as soon as i have chance

No worries, whenever you can fella. Cant really do anything until the weekend and its not got light at all today anyway.

Am pleased to say its nice & sunny here today so hopefully if it lasts till lunch at 14.00 i will take it & get it uploaded so you can check tomorrow :)

Am pleased to say its nice & sunny here today so hopefully if it lasts till lunch at 14.00 i will take it & get it uploaded so you can check tomorrow :)

Good man :) dark and gloomy here :(

OK couple of pics taken

There is no sign of any holes that i can tell on mine.....but

Hmmmm on closer inspection of your 1st photo the small white bit by where you can see the + screw looks very much the same.

Unfortunately im not in a position to take a pic of the underside but from what i could tell it didnt look like a hole that goes thru to the other side (if you get me)

i hope they help m8 but maybe someone who is breaking a C or has their roof liner out might be able to take another pic of the underside

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

If water is getting into the cabin, it usually means the drain tubes are blocked or kinked. If parked on a hill and the water overwhelms the drain tubes, it has no where else to go but into the car.

Have you actually seen puddles on the floor by the front wheels after pouring water into the sunroof subframe? The rear tubes drain under the bumper. If you haven't, the water isn't escaping via the drain tubes!

If water is getting into the cabin, it usually means the drain tubes are blocked or kinked. If parked on a hill and the water overwhelms the drain tubes, it has no where else to go but into the car.

Have you actually seen puddles on the floor by the front wheels after pouring water into the sunroof subframe? The rear tubes drain under the bumper. If you haven't, the water isn't escaping via the drain tubes!

You've confirmed what i thought, becuase its on a slope and water overwhelming the drains.

Ive checked the drains and water is coming out of the front and it is.... haven't checked the back but as i said previous, because its facing down hill then water doesnt get to the rear.

Perfect mate. do the hole is meant to be there. Must drain onto the inner trim and through the drain pipes.

excellent!!

that would make sense if it was to outlet to the drain pipes. were your front drain pipes connected? or have you got a bentley manual to double check where the connect to? (i can have a look in mine over the weekend if you havent)

excellent!!

that would make sense if it was to outlet to the drain pipes. were your front drain pipes connected? or have you got a bentley manual to double check where the connect to? (i can have a look in mine over the weekend if you havent)

Yup they're connected and do drain.

As Kev said i think cos ive been pouring water over the roof from a watering can it overwhelms the drains. But saying that, it does it when raining.... maybe heavy rain, but still rain.

They are large tubes,two alone should easily take a watering can of water away !

Have you had the front arch liners out lately ? Only ask as its easy to kink the pipes ! It does sound like you have an obstruction that's not letting the water get away quick enough