Sign in to follow this  
half-9

Supersprint Manifold & Full Exhaust system - Heat shield

Hello All,

I just had the full supersprint manifold & system with cat bypass fitted to my G60, - it fit really well, but the manifold passes the rubber gaitor (sleeve) protecting the steering column so closely that it started to melt it - so I have temporarily had it cut off. Has anyone run into this problem & got any ideas on where I can source a heat shield for it, Richard at Venom suggested using heat wrap from Demon tweeks, but my mechanic i sscepticl as to whether this will do the job. He also reckons the heat from the exhasut manifold will rise up to the inlet manifold - which might cause problems.

Thanks

Oooh SuperSprint headers...you lucky man!! Lovely bit of kit :lol:

Get a piece of 2mm aluminium plate (maplins sell it) and wrap it round the gaiter.

You should never expose the UJ, dirt and water will kill it off very quickly.

You do need some heat wrap as Steveo mentioned. Steel loses heat quicker than iron and it's the heat of the header that "pulls" spent gases out of the cylinders. You also need decent engine mounts as steel headers are very intolerant of excessive engine rocking.

K

Funnily enough I have just had the manifold fitted today and have found exactly the same problem - why the hell didn't I read this thread a month ago... I now have a melted hole in the column boot.

I am about to go and inspect exactly what is under the boot just now - but can anyone give any other suggestions as to what I should do? I have my MOT next Friday and need it sorted quickly - I am anxious this will be pulled up as a potential fire hazard! Esp since the two are actually touching. I have considered removing the existing boot and replacing it with a sleeve that allows you to wrap it around the object (e.g. column) and join the sides together - should behave the same as the existing boot. Any thoughts or suggestions? Kev - I can't think how I would hold the alu sheet in the same place?

Leon, if the Steering column UJ boot has any form of hole/split/burn in it, the MOT tester will fail the car. I had the same problem on a MK1 so I first filled the burned holes with black silicon and then I fabricated a peice of alloy sheet to wrap around the boot to deflect the heat.

I did such a good job (not being big headed) that the tester thought it was OE and passed her!

Under the boot is a universal joint and it really does not stand up to water and grit ingress for long mate....it'll make your steering very sloppy if left indefinitely, so plug the holes ASAP....

The manifold wrapping is for keeping the heat in (hot manifolds pull the exhaust gases out of the cylinders) but not preventing it from radiating heat out unfortunately...

Cheers Kev - only thing is the boot is actually touching the manifold - unless I change the shape of the boot (or alloy sheet for example) then it will still touch. Perhaps a boot that isn;t as wide would be better? Is it possible to use a boot from another VW? Or still use a wrappable gaitor that I can dictate the size of?

however, i have just taken it to a center to get a few more rubber holds put on, check for any blowing and to do an emission test (for free :))- therefore buying me another week if theres a problem - turns out its all good - passed the test!

now just need to sort the boot issue...