twin45

just a couple of things how to and how much

Do any of you guys know a good way to remove the rear 1/4 windows as got to remove mine for its respray want a proper job not just a mask off respray

also how much are one touch electric windows worth with mecs complete loom and control unit thsy are early type switches

cheers guys

I would strongly advise against removal of the rear quarter glass. Whilst I totally agree with your thorough prep to reproduce a factory quality re-paint, these glasses are obsolete now and furthermore are encapsulated into the soft rubber surround. If you damage any part of this, then the item is rendered U/S. These glass panels are bonded into the chassis, so can only be cut out. The usual method is to do this with a wire, as is the method with bonded windscreens. If you do this the rubber surrounds will be damaged, as too could the glass. The only option is to use a very sharp thin blade and cut the adhesive from the inside, but this will take an eternity!! I would recommend that you pack out the rubber surround so as to lift it away from the bodywork, and allow paint to be applied under the trim leaving no hard edge. This is a commonly adopted practice in most body shops, and done well, will afford you the finish you desire, without risk to your quarter glasses.

Yep - 3M do trim lifting tape for jobs like this...

---------- Post added at 7:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:50 PM ----------

Yep - 3M do trim lifting tape for jobs like this...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GSX9FJLMJJgs94R0HRQVZXgl09C85NKLMFbl

My rear glass and windscreen were removed for spraying . Rear 1/4's as above . Worth mentioning ,depending on how well the car has faired in its life , the front pillars can be rusted away . I wanted a top job for spraying as you do so asked for windscreen to be taken out . It turned out that the windscreen was replaced at some point in the past but the pillars were so far gone the fitter had used alot of glue and mastik to get it to bond to what was left , it eventualy split the screen because of all the crap that was stuck to it . I had to have new pillars welded in which are still available from vw , if i remember they were £120.00 . Rob

Edited by robrado974