corrado199316v

Hi looking a corrado what do i need to look for when buying

hi i am looking at a 1993 2.0i 16v corrado i think it's a 9a engine

it's been serviced about 200mile ago i.e gaskets oil oil filter air filter plugs leads ect

it's done 130k loads of service history

just asking is there any probs too look for

i.e cold start issues warm start

cutting out ect

any help will be aprechated

i am a vag hag lol but mainly mk2/mk3 golf's gti's

but taking the chance on a corrado

You are correct in the fact that the 2.0 16v is a 9a engine code, I used to have one and it was very reliable (i used it as my daily for over a year with no major issues)

If it has a big history i would think it would be fair to say it should be ok, just check all of the things you would usually check when buying any can and then check that all of the electrics function correctly i.e. sunroof, spoiler, dash, windows etc.

Im sure someone will post a buyers guide for you....

do you have a link to the car you are looking to purchase

You are correct in the fact that the 2.0 16v is a 9a engine code, I used to have one and it was very reliable (i used it as my daily for over a year with no major issues)

If it has a big history i would think it would be fair to say it should be ok, just check all of the things you would usually check when buying any can and then check that all of the electrics function correctly i.e. sunroof, spoiler, dash, windows etc.

Im sure someone will post a buyers guide for you....

do you have a link to the car you are looking to purchase

Hi many thanks

i will be using it as a daily for a bit

i dont have a link to a web page as just saw it at the roadside with a sign in it

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

just askin how good the 9a was as heard there can be a lot of problems with the metering head ect

the last car i had with a metering head was a mk2 16v and it was a bit of a git to get it to run right

I never had an issue with mine however i know some on here have had issues, on a totally personal note i loved my 9a, so much better to drive than a mk2 16v

Great i have mainly been a mk3 man as it's easyer for the familey but always been after a corrado

saw this and thats it lol

---------- Post added at 1:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

also whats the9a lump like on fuel

You wouldnt happen to be the owner of a red mk3 that used to come through west bridgeford towards the A46 and flash a Corrado most mornings would you ?

Check for rust in these places:

- around indicators on the wings

- front of the sills, near the wing

- rear of the sills, where it meets the wheelarch

- jacking points could be rusty or bent

- around the rear 'corrado' or 'VW' badge

- bottom of the doors can rust if paint's been chipped or water is trapped on the inside, due to blocked drainage holes

Electricals:

- check the headlights work

- sunroof should tilt and slide

- spoiler should work on the switch and at speed, around 45mph or 55mph

- electric windows

- abs light should go off after a few seconds of starting

Mechanicals:

- door handles!! These are notorious for breaking

- check that all the heater controls rotate properly

Edited by joebloggsVR69

Check for rust in these places:

- around indicators on the wings

- front of the sills, near the wing

- rear of the sills, where it meets the wheelarch

- jacking points could be rusty or bent

- around the rear 'corrado' or 'VW' badge

- bottom of the doors can rust if paint's been chipped or water is trapped on the inside, due to blocked drainage holes

Electricals:

- check the headlights work

- sunroof should tilt and slide

- spoiler should work on the switch and at speed, around 45mph or 55mph

- electric windows

- abs light should go off after a few seconds of starting

Mechanicals:

- door handles!! These are notorious for breaking

- check that all the heater controls rotate properly

hi thanks matey

just spoke to the lad and he has told me abit more about it

1;heater blower not very powerful (am i looking at a new blower unit)

2;handbrake need's adjusting as dont hold the car

3;mite need front disc's and pads as brakes not great but only passed the mot 1st of october!!!!!!!

4;fog light lens cracked

5;brake lines lightly corroded

6;wipers not great in heavy rain (but i hear thats common on corrados)

7;got a crapy light grey interior lol

---------- Post added at 8:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:25 PM ----------

That would be me :-)

Think you passed me on the 46 a couple of times too.

hi

is yours 16v or vr6

got rid of the red golf to get a black one

The poor handbrake is probably the pads seized in the carriers - cheap fix to strip, clean and copperslip where the pads touch the carriers and calipers if this is the case. Working rear brakes will generally help the car to stop better with the foot brake too.

Buying a car off an enthusiasts site like this is probably the best way to go, you can browse the build threads and see exactly what's been done. Corrado prices are rock bottom, there's no need to buy cheap unknown when there is well looked after cars here

It's a 16v buddy.

1.8 or 2.0

---------- Post added at 8:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:42 PM ----------

The poor handbrake is probably the pads seized in the carriers - cheap fix to strip, clean and copperslip where the pads touch the carriers and calipers if this is the case. Working rear brakes will generally help the car to stop better with the foot brake too.

Buying a car off an enthusiasts site like this is probably the best way to go, you can browse the build threads and see exactly what's been done. Corrado prices are rock bottom, there's no need to buy cheap unknown when there is well looked after cars here

Spoke to the lad and he said he will do a deal on my mk3gti

So mite only have to out lay petrol money lol

The only issues I have had with mine really are battery and alternator.

Can't remember the part name but it equates to the idle control oh and I can't switch my heater to 2 out of the 4 settings. But it blows on the wind screen so I am happy :-)

Tbh I think I have been very lucky with my old girl :-)

Can't remember the part name but it equates to the idle control oh and I can't switch my heater to 2 out of the 4 settings. But it blows on the wind screen so I am happy :-)

Hope mine will be the same

think i passed you this morning at lord ted roundabout

to be honest I always look at mechanical condition with a Corrado as the most important thing to me. I would not reject a car for a spot or 2 of superficial rust. These are old cars now and even the best maintained examples can develop rust almost overnight!. A well maintained car should always be in good mechanical condition, with all electrics and controls working. If not I usually wonder what else people have let go?! For example a broken spoiler could just be viewed as non-essential and let slide as a job, more than one thing not working though and I start to ask serious questions!..what else has the owner let sliide? could the owner afford routine maintenance?! These are cheap cars at the momment which is worrying from the point of view rthat a lot of people can now afford them that cannot afford to maintain them properly. I always look for a detailed service history and everything working? spec and colour less important as are stonechips on bonnet and minor rust on front wings /badges etc.

to be honest I always look at mechanical condition with a Corrado as the most important thing to me. I would not reject a car for a spot or 2 of superficial rust. These are old cars now and even the best maintained examples can develop rust almost overnight!. A well maintained car should always be in good mechanical condition, with all electrics and controls working. If not I usually wonder what else people have let go?! For example a broken spoiler could just be viewed as non-essential and let slide as a job, more than one thing not working though and I start to ask serious questions!..what else has the owner let sliide? could the owner afford routine maintenance?! These are cheap cars at the momment which is worrying from the point of view rthat a lot of people can now afford them that cannot afford to maintain them properly. I always look for a detailed service history and everything working? spec and colour less important as are stonechips on bonnet and minor rust on front wings /badges etc.

I'm the opposite, its bodywork condition first for me (unless its a bolt on panel), a non working spoiler / electic window / sunroof / blown matrix or similar is just a haggling point. Interiors can be swapped, as can wheels, both of which can transform a well used car with straight bodywork

..obviously if the rear arches need cutting out etc then I would probably give it a miss, but minor bodywork issues on an old car are less off putting to me than mechanical/electrical items not working. I believe this philosophy is why I have (touch wood) never had a breakdown in any of my 5 Corrados. I pay top money to get a mechanicaly good one, from an owner who could afford to maintain it rather than get a cheap one as a project and proceed to chase issues round the car!..

..obviously if the rear arches need cutting out etc then I would probably give it a miss, but minor bodywork issues on an old car are less off putting to me than mechanical/electrical items not working. I believe this philosophy is why I have (touch wood) never had a breakdown in any of my 5 Corrados. I pay top money to get a mechanicaly good one, from an owner who could afford to maintain it rather than get a cheap one as a project and proceed to chase issues round the car!..

thanks bodywork wise it's good as it's had a respray in jan 2012 i had a quick check around the arches sills ect all look solid

not checked it engine wise as he is working away for a few days

spoiler windows mirrors sunroof all work

he just said the heater blower was a bit weak but a couple of lads i know have said corrado/scirocco one's arnt great

i will be upgrading the headlight loom

mite do the fuel filter and maybe the cambelt too

as the lad said he is sure it has been done but needs to check paperwork

---------- Post added at 2:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:17 PM ----------

got recon rear calipers to sort the brakes out

thinking of putting drilled groved discs on the front

it's got a nice set of 17" alloys on and just had coilovers fitted

going to change the seats or get a mate to retrim and put new carpet in as there all light grey

---------- Post added at 2:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:23 PM ----------

got recon rear calipers to sort the brakes out

thinking of putting drilled groved discs on the front

it's got a nice set of 17" alloys on and just had coilovers fitted

going to change the seats or get a mate to retrim and put new carpet in as there all light grey

the only thing that is putting me off is two streets away from me a lad has the same coloured corrado same year just it's a g60

but he keeps getting pulled cause he's a bit of a dealer if u know what i mean lol

i am just being paranoied lol