Portent

Location for crossovers?

I'm wondering where most people put their crossovers? Can they be fitted behind the door pods or am I likely to have to put them behind the dash? If so how do people fix them in place? Thanks.

i put mine in that tray under the steering wheel which is useless for anything else!

But I keep all my spare crap in there out of sight :lol:

I've got one hidden behind the small plastic cover under the bonnet release handle in drivers side and the other is tucked under the dash in the passenger foot well. Couldn't put it the same place as drivers side because the abs ecu is there.

I put both of mine behind the centre console down at the bottom , just behind the storage area.

Thanks for the ideas. I will take a look the next free day but the centre console sounds sensible.

Where are you all fitting your speakers , iv put mine behing the doorcard , no wires to hide no on show crossovers making it look messy

Iv fitted mine in the small triangles in the corner of the windows

Where are you all fitting your speakers , iv put mine behing the doorcard , no wires to hide no on show crossovers making it look messy

Iv fitted mine in the small triangles in the corner of the windows

The speakers are convertibles so I can have the tweeter either attached to the main speaker or separate. I also have some spare door triangles so I'll try them in both configurations and see which sounds best.

I was told that fitting them higher up would give you a better sound as the tweeter sound isnt getting lost in the footwell in to your leg

Either way mine fit behind the door card easily

Nice. How did you get 6.5" behind the standard pods?

I bought some door pockets off eBay, scooped out all the unnecessary plastic , mounted the speaker to the door.

I wish I had taken some pics , but I got inspiration from a post on vwvortex , will track it down and post up

They were on the pockets already , presumably someone had screwed aftermarket grill to the front. I might fill them in one day.

checkout the posts from "apaper" in this thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4853797

I cut MDF base to attach to the door( exactly as in the thread) then a speaker adaptor ring to bring the speaker forward as close to the door pocket, but not to close that when the cone moved it touched the pocket.

you do have to cut some of the door car behind the pocket to get the adptor ring through.