Sign in to follow this  
Ad's 16v

Bumper (FELL OFF)

Just the other night and for the second time my bumper decided it was going to jump of the front of my C and i managed to push it along the floor, resulting in this.......................... :cry: thank god i didn't run over it.

Now it's being held on with big fu**ing cable ties because most of the clips on the back of the bumper are either worn out or snapped of.

I've been quoted by a mate of mine between £65 - £100 to get it resprayed, What are your thoughts?

I take it you mean the bumper iron is staying put and plastic bumper moulding is falling off?

Not good. Never see that happen before on a C. It used to happen big bumper Golfs if someone 'reskinned' the bumper iron poorly.

I'm guessing that might be what happened to yours at some stage?

opps! nasty. I had a small accident in my old G60, a guy on a pedal bike managed to get his pedal clipped in behind my rearbumper, this resulted in one dismounted said bloke and a dismounted rear bumper both spinning in the road!!! All the clips had broken on the bumper. I fitted it by removing the metal part of the bumper (bumper irons) and screwed the two together with big self tappers and cage nuts, obviously all inside and out of sight. Got it resprayed and popped it back on. Would think the same is true for the front bumper, think all your clips have broken, they use a wedged piece off plastic to hold them in which get lost too.

Sorry Kev. Bumper iron :?: :?:

Yeah it's the actual metal 'bumper' bit behind the plastic outer shell.

I can't imagine the whole thing coming out as it's held in by 4 chuffing great bolts, which also hold the front cross member on!

If the whole thing is dropping out, sounds like said bolts are missing!

If just the outer plastic is falling off, some of the clips are broken/missing.

I can't imagine the whole thing coming out as it's held in by 4 chuffing great bolts, which also hold the front cross member on!

Yeah, the engine would be on the ground too :shock:

You can drive the car with just the middle bolts, but only around a workshop for a short while. VW do that when driving them onto the ramps for the final fixtures and fittings.

They won't hold for long on the open road though!

I take it you mean the bumper iron is staying put and plastic bumper moulding is falling off?

Not good. Never see that happen before on a C. It used to happen big bumper Golfs if someone 'reskinned' the bumper iron poorly.

I'm guessing that might be what happened to yours at some stage?

Yeah in that case then it's just the plastic bumper moulding that's falling off. I had another look today and there appear to be some bolts on the under side of the bumper that are screwed into nothing, i'll have to get it up on the ramps and investigate further.

Err...if the bumper skin is falling off, it's just that - a plastic moulding.

If there's any metalwork on the back of it whatsoever, the bumper itself isn't bolted to the chassis.

If the latter is the case, stop driving it immediately until it's been bolted back on.

Cheers Guys.

Mike - There's no metal on the back of the bumper skin it's just the bumper skin itself............