Bazmcc

Lets fix this crap bonnet pull clip.

I have the engineer on standby with a CNC mill and lathe and we're going to have a go at coming up with a solution to the crappy excuse for a clip on the bonnet pull where the cable attaches to the bracket.

This is the standard clip both normal and broken.

clip.jpg

The gruven one looks like it does the job but involves drilling holes and i'm not sure i'm convinced by the design.

Gruven make this one:

105.jpg

So I'm going to try to come up with a very basic and easy to fit version. Any pics, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

We might as well make a solution for it because it seems to be an all too common problem.

I used an adjuster from a bicycle brake.

yru9avur.jpg

The solder less nipple is there because the end broke off too.

The adjuster is now bolted to the lever bracket using a little clamp I made.

I was going to have a go at this a couple of years back but didn't get chance. If you need CAD help and/or manufacture give me a shout.

Excellent I would have one about time someone done this:salute: The one on mine is as new but it still Dic*s about so good for you mate respect.

Ok I think I have a design that will work well (the eureka moment). I need to take my bracket off and make a few measurements and then i'll put it into featurecam or else solidworks.

Main criteria.

It has to be modular so it can be easily removed or have parts replaced.

No modifications will need to be made to the existing bracket.

No modifications will need to be made to the existing cable.

No welding or drilling will be required.

There will be no sprung parts as they ultimately lead to fatique failure.

Watching with interest as I'm currently opening the bonnet by pulling the cable with a pair of mole grips.

Does the end of the cable just wedge into the gruven one? Was tempted way back when but couldn't stomach the price and ended up getting a new cable instead with the handle already attached...

If it's just a lump of ally with two slots routed into it and two threaded holes for the setscrews then any decent machine shop could bang them out very easily.

Stone

There's a couple of issues I've spotted with the gruven one which isn't ideal. The way it fixes to the bracket isn't very good so we'll avoid that. As far as I'm aware it's a stepped slot where the cable surround goes in and the cable itself fits through the end.

I think we have a decent solution now. I'll make it out of plastic at the start of the week if I get a chance. My mate said to call in with him as soon as I have a mock up or even measurements and a drawing and he'd cut it out on the mill.

This should be able to be fitted without even taking the cable or bracket off the car. I'll update as soon as we have something I can show you all.

Sounds good, had no problem with mine but no doubt it's something that will go tits up in the future!

I have the engineer on standby with a CNC mill and lathe and we're going to have a go at coming up with a solution to the crappy excuse for a clip on the bonnet pull where the cable attaches to the bracket.

This is the standard clip both normal and broken.

clip.jpg

The gruven one looks like it does the job but involves drilling holes and i'm not sure i'm convinced by the design.

Gruven make this one:

105.jpg

So I'm going to try to come up with a very basic and easy to fit version. Any pics, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

We might as well make a solution for it because it seems to be an all too common problem.

I made one a very simlar design to the gruven one not so long ago, i havnt fitted it yet as i need a new cable also. I will try and get pictures of it. The finish isnt amazing as i just wanted something that works rather than looks good.

Exactly.

Don't worry I haven't forgotten about this. I have a design drawn up rough so I'll get it done accurately next week and we'll cut up some metal.