Bazmcc

Lets fix this crap bonnet pull clip.

Exactly.

Don't worry I haven't forgotten about this. I have a design drawn up rough so I'll get it done accurately next week and we'll cut up some metal.

here we go,

photo5_zpsb84058e2.jpg

photo7_zps7be6b654.jpg

photo6_zps911a6a32.jpg

as you can see the idea is it slide on to the tab on the bodywork towards the rear of the car so that when the cable is pulled it puts pressure against the tab, there is a grub screw just to clamp it onto the tab. the bonnet cable then slots through the bottom and the outer has a seat for it to pull against.

like i say i have not tried it yet as i need a new cable, but i see no reason why it wont work.

Theres no mods that has to be done, standard cable will work with it no holes drilled etc.

not the prettiest but i didnt really take my time or finish it off as ill never see it unless im fixing something.

The only issue I can see there is the grub screw? It'll probably work perfectly fine in most cases though. There will be a percentage of people who might ring the threads out of it though. What grade of aluminium did you use? A good way to stabilise that would be to put a countersink into the tab on the bracket about 1mm deep to let the grub center on.

It's not a million miles away from what I've drawn up. I'll try and get it sorted as soon as I can?

Helicoils are added complexity too though as it has to be drilled out wider meaning the walls are weaker. Making it from steel is another option as it's only a small part but something like 6061 T6 shouldn't strip if the threads are well cut but the smaller the threads the easier they are to rip out.

Not sure what ally it was to be honest I don’t have any square or rectangle stock, so I can’t think of where I will have found it. Maybe cut it out of a bit of round T6 as that the only bar stock I have. Other than that my option was EN304 stainless and I didn’t fancy making something so intricate out of something so hard.

I had thought about the issue of stripping the grub screw, so my thoughts were to make the cable stop as close to the slot for the tab on the car as possible to reduce the leverage it will have and hopefully instead of trying to twist the tab it will be close enough to try and pull it instead (if that makes sense?) so in effect the grub screw is just to stop it sliding off when the cable returns to its resting position.

The whole thing is very small maybe 15mm at most from top to bottom so the cable should be pretty close to the "pivoting" point hopefully so close that the stress it causes works in the way the tab is designed to.

Anyone made any more progress with this? The bonnet cable is on my 'list of things to do' this year, and I'd love not to have to replace the whole thing.

Yip, sitting here with a lump of aluminium in front of me and just about to head over to the garage to cut a couple of bits off it. I'll try and update as best I can. I'm going to make it by hand first and then when I'm happy with it i'll hand it over and see if it can be machined more accurately.

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. I made a couple of different versions. The second one I need to test fit but I think it's closer to being a suitable fix. I've got it set out on my work bench and I need to try and get a chance to get back on it again. It's a fiddly bugger to get just right.

Ah k cool ,just got a corrado few weeks ago ,it's at my mates unit but know the bonnet doesn't open as it should lol,keep me posted mate 👍

Cool cheers for the pic ,will have a dig around in the shed if need be ,got enough bikes floating about lol

I'd be interested in this, at the moment I'm seriously considering putting bonnet pin catch things on just to get rid of the godawful cable mech!

Dave16v mentioned something about making some up.

Mine broke a couple of weeks back and I've done a quick fix for it already but want to improve it.

Mine broke a couple of weeks back and I've done a quick fix for it already but want to improve it.

Didnt mean to put you on the spot Dave just thought rather than someone else finding a company to make them id say you were in the process already

Didnt mean to put you on the spot Dave just thought rather than someone else finding a company to make them id say you were in the process already

I'm not fussed to be honest, if someone wants to supply these then that's cool with me. I'll still develop it just because I like doing stuff like this.