Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

DIY Engine Breather Oil Catchtank

When I was changing the front eng. mount last week, I removed the airbox and all the intake plumbing. The amount of oil that had been introduced from the rocker breather valve since I changed the water pump (Approx. 1400 miles) in Feb. made me think that maybe a catchtank might be a good idea...

I fancy having a go at one of these... just need to work out where to locate it on the Corrado... Hmmmm :? Not much room round that end of the engine... and nice and hot near the exhaust too :?

The instructions below were pinched from a write up by my mate with the Prelude VTEC (remember him at the Dubsport Rolling Road day...)

=============================================================================================

OK then, by popular demand - here's how to make your own DIY oil catch tank for about 10pounds.

First of all - the bottle, which cost me the princely sum of 8 pounds!

The other items you will need are these male to male brake line couplers. These cost 1 pound each from my local motor factors.

The first thing to do is to cut the handle off the cap of the bottle, and drill a hole through the top of the cap and the side of the bottle, about a quarter of the way down.

Next, apply some hylomar (or other) sealant to the fittings, and bolt them in the side of the bottle and the top of the cap.

Now you will need to decide where the tank is going to fit. The location you choose should be close to the existing route of the PCV piping to prevent long unsightly pipe runs, but you also need to have something conveniently close to bolt the tank securely to.

Having decided on the location, you need to make a bracket. Here's mine.

I used jubilee clips to clamp the bracket to the bottle, with a layer of self amalgamating tape between the bottle and the clips to prevent scratching and provide a better grip. If you can't find self amalgamating tape, you could use thick elastic bands or electrical tape.

Here's the bracket and bottle assembled.

Now it's time to mount the bottle and pipe it up. The piping is really quite simple, the hose from the PCV valve in the head goes into the side of the bottle, and the pipe from the plenum attaches to the cap of the bottle.

I used the original Prelude pipe to connect the PCV valve to the bottle, and used another bit of pipe I had lying around to connect the bottle cap to the plenum.

Make sure you use proper vacuum pipe, other types may collapse under vacuum!

Thats it! Enjoy!

==============================================================================================

Just run a hose to the ground. When MOT time comes round, just reconnect the old system. My MOT testers have never noticed a big pipe hanging down with crankcase fumes coming out of it anyway, LOL!

I'm leaving mine put on the VR because a film of oil isn't going to hurt the change-over flap inside the Schrick. In fact, having heard of a few flaps jamming in the past, I'm *definitely* leaving the breather system connected.

K