maganv3

front solid engine mount advice needed asap

I don't know what else to do can't get hold of a solid mk2 golf one from anywhere, the vibratechnics one out my budget and iv heard about one of cgti but can't find it people saying a solid one for£40ish

Help me please guys my rado don't feel good atm

What's up with the Rado?

I once tried a solid front mount but they aren't a good idea imo. The vibration is just passed through into the subframe etc. When I ran one, it actually caused the metal bracket where it attaches via the gearbox to snap! and in turn this caused my engine to drop and also snapped the pipes going through the bulk head to the heater matrix! Was a bloody nightmare!

The stresses are not 'soaked up' like a typical rubber mount and are instead passed through into the surrounding metalwork. I appreciate people have them without issues but they will pass vibration/stresses to other parts.

I may be able to help with a Mk2 solid mount. There's one around here somewhere; just a case of finding it. Made by EPI IIRC.

I'll have a hunt for it later and let you know.

reily i know what your saying i was going to run the front mount soild and all the rest g60 mounts, and anton that would be perfect if you have got one thanks

Don't, not on a road car, something else will break, the mounting bushes for the front cross member will be the only point of give at the front, vibration will be the least of your problems. Stiffer mountings are bad enough, they put more shock and strain on cv joints, gearbox etc. mounts are carefully selected to provide enough damping for the power and weight of a specific engine, if you have other engine mods, then a slightly stiffer front mount is all you need, new standard mounts elsewhere.

You say your car has a 1.8t engine, I'd suggest you get a softer spec vibratechnics, the 'road' type as a maximum. I know you say cost is an issue, you might find a second hand one if you are lucky. A pattern standard mount won't last 5 minutes, false economy, and a genuine vag hydraulic mount will probably be as much as the vt.

theres no escaping it though, you need to spend what you need to spend for the right quality kit, cheaper parts - been there, done that :)

the solid mount is just a no-no for me, it's just asking for trouble, I'm sure you can find people who have driven cars with them and think they are great, but how long did they keep the car???

You say your car has a 1.8t engine, I'd suggest you get a softer spec vibratechnics, the 'road' type as a maximum. I know you say cost is an issue, you might find a second hand one if you are lucky. A pattern standard mount won't last 5 minutes, false economy, and a genuine vag hydraulic mount will probably be as much as the vt.

theres no escaping it though, you need to spend what you need to spend for the right quality kit, cheaper parts - been there, done that :)

the solid mount is just a no-no for me, it's just asking for trouble, I'm sure you can find people who have driven cars with them and think they are great, but how long did they keep the car???

i know what you mean, mines a daily, want it to be strong but not cause me any other problems

Sorry to blag your post but on the subject of mounts don't suppose anyones got a top plate for a drivers side mount for a VR6 have they, I got a new genuine VW VR6 MOUNT which was fine apart from fact top plate is flat not angled like the original, trouble is that was bit that was broken, some idiot snapped the bolt in it. ad to drill out bolt and rethread old one, but not ideal, and bolted that to new mount. The old mount was fine to be honest and VW one, had new engine just before I got it and probably changed then so I'd happily do a swap for this mount if anyone needs one. (Reckon the flat top plate must be off a vr6 Golf or something)