maff

MK1 VR6 vs MK2 VR6 vs Corrado VR6+nurburgring

Right my good pal has almost finished his mk1 golf vr6 convertible project and now my other mate has just purchased a mk2 golf with a full corrado 2.9vr6 conversion, so whos gonna be the quickest??

We were having a good old old natter in the pub the other night and we are all getting a bit older now, (well not that old) so we all fancy doing the nurburgring trip:-), before we get too old that we just can't be bothered!

So who is going to be left behind? My corrado has the stealth overbore rebuild and i reckon is pushing out 200bhp with similar torque and obviously the other two have the power to weight advantage, but i reckon it's gonna like this golf mk1 half a car in front of the mk2 with the mk2 half a car in front of me, BUT when we get to 120+, (on the autobahns of course) then the aerodynamics and the slighty bigger bang of my car will come into play, the golf is an obd2 2.8 by the way.

Kinda sound like a big kid here but has anybody had their vr corrado against a mk2 vr6?, i'm being told i'll be blown into wind!... so need some backup;-)

It all depend's on the driver on the way to the bolton cruise a few years ago in my 330bhp powered xr4x4 i came across a nissan 200sx absolutely killed him saw him later on at the cruise he asked what mine was i told him then of course i asked what his car was good for was amazed when he told me 400bhp but i am full on (or was) my sierra was best pound for pound perfomance i have owned it even gave bikes a hard time.

Yeah I had a classic scooby that have given bikes a hard time, but your right it'll be down to the driver.

I reckon the mk2 golf will weigh in at around 1150kg, mk1 900kg, he has stripped everything!! and my corrado will be 1260kg so I'm hoping their lumps are putting out low power!

I dont know from experience but alot of people say the VR in the mk1 screws the handling

the mk2 would be suited to that engine

mk1 may have better power to weight but thats no good if it wont go round the ring so my money would be on the mk2

But then the Corrado has the whole package ;)

Edited by rado20vT

That cabrio must be terrifying with a VR in it. My ex drove a 1.8 model from 1986 and it was more than enough for the chassis...

I recon the mk1 would have the best power to weight ratio and in a straight line would be the quickest, the Corrado would be the best planted round the corners as it was designed for that engine. But I think the mk2 would be some where in the middle maybe slightly quicker than the rado off the line due to the weight,

TBH I would have the corrado as it would be the all rounded and the suspension was designed for the VR6 lump to be in it. The others would be fun to drive but would probably be quite nose heavy in the corners and under steer a bit.

Either way the noise coming from all of them would be amazing :D

That cabrio must be terrifying with a VR in it. My ex drove a 1.8 model from 1986 and it was more than enough for the chassis...

I have witnessed quite how much has been stripped out of the mk1 and when it was on axle stands without wheels fitted you could pick the rear of the car up easily, I don't quite know what it's going to be like but won't be boring either!!

I've got my money on the mk1 in a straight line but definatly dominated by understeer in the corners! mk2 will be interesting cause I think the vr lump only adds about 150kg to the front of the car, but I reckon top speed 130+ the aerodynamics of my lowered corrado will come through?

I have witnessed quite how much has been stripped out of the mk1 and when it was on axle stands without wheels fitted you could pick the rear of the car up easily, I don't quite know what it's going to be like but won't be boring either!!

I've got my money on the mk1 in a straight line but definatly dominated by understeer in the corners! mk2 will be interesting cause I think the vr lump only adds about 150kg to the front of the car, but I reckon top speed 130+ the aerodynamics of my lowered corrado will come through?

I had a mate with a mk1 1600cc twin 40's gas flowed head few other bit's nothing serious drew up at the light'e next to a mk2 16v my mate was like no way i was like just try you will be amazed with 40's killed it easy

I'm going to stick my neck on the line, and say that round the ring the Corrado will have it hands down. The Mk 1 sounds like it will be a handful in the corners, all 147 odd of them! No matter how quickly it can accelerate, if it has to slow to a walking pace to get round the bends it doesn't stand a chance. The Mk 2 will be a close second, but I don't think the gain in power over standard, and slight weight saving over the Corrado will be enough to match the Corrado's far more dynamic chassis. The power to weight ratio will be similar, but the corrado (I would have thought) has a lower centre of gravity, better handling, probably a wider track, and don't forget the spoiler.....!! Drag races off the lights, that's probably a different storey.

I'm going to stick my neck on the line, and say that round the ring the Corrado will have it hands down. The Mk 1 sounds like it will be a handful in the corners, all 147 odd of them! No matter how quickly it can accelerate, if it has to slow to a walking pace to get round the bends it doesn't stand a chance. The Mk 2 will be a close second, but I don't think the gain in power over standard, and slight weight saving over the Corrado will be enough to match the Corrado's far more dynamic chassis. The power to weight ratio will be similar, but the corrado (I would have thought) has a lower centre of gravity, better handling, probably a wider track, and don't forget the spoiler.....!! Drag races

off the lights, that's probably a different storey.

Good man:-) corrado all the way, that's what I want to hear!

Ive got the Pirelli p8000's all round on my rado, I'm thinking of changing them for toyos as Ive always liked them, also a front strut brace fitted before the off!

No matter what happens its gonna be a top laugh, also be interesting to see some exotic machinery going round too, saying that my pal who is coming in the mk1 also has lots of motors, one of them being the e60 v10 m5 rolling roaded at 538bhp:-) now that that would be pushing on 200mph down the straights I reckon!!

Too right! I can't believe anyone on here is doubting the mighty 'rado!

Seriously though - first corner, give the Mk 1 some room ;) Who knows what it's going to do, straight on; lift off over steer; both - your guess is as good as mine. One things for sure, it's not going to turn in like the Corrado can!

Should be a right good laugh though....i've always fancied a trip. That e60 sounds awesome!

That why I'm doing the 288 brake upgrade well before we go!! Saying that we are all pretty crap drivers too tbh, lol.

One good thing I think though as I've got older I definatly don't go quite so mad so just maybe we will stay on the track and have some fun, the charge for destroying an Armco barrier is enough let alone totalling the car!

And the M5 sounds awesome 1st gear through our small town sounds like a Ferrari as he has a Hayward and Scott exhaust with the middle x pipe too which makes it sound even better at 8000rpm, very quick car, doesn't get goin untill a ton:-)

He's had 185mph out of it easy in 6th, still with a gear to go!(7 speed)

My mate used to have an 1800 carb cabrio with a rivage kit on it. The scuttle shake from that thing was hilarious!

I remember Awesome's peach MK1 VR6 (tin top) from years ago and they had to put a lot of work into it to kill the understeer!

All 3 cars will understeer like mad when pushed to the limit, but if the MK2 has the widetrack conversion and 288s, I think it stands a good chance against the corrado. It'll have more punch out of the corners due to it's lower weight.

and don't forget the spoiler.....!!

Love it. That swings it for me. Don't understand all the technical stuff!

lol, me neither! :-)

think if all the drivers gave it 100% i recon the corrado would come off top, dont think idd ever want to race around that , not in my own car anyway ;) wish you the best of luck

think if all the drivers gave it 100% i recon the corrado would come off top, dont think idd ever want to race around that , not in my own car anyway ;) wish you the best of luck

I agree, if we gave the cars to the stig then I think the corrado would come out on top, but after driving god knows how many miles and knowing my mates we definatly won't be going 100% all the way round.

And my corrado isn't my daily driver but it was designed to be driven hard in my opinion. My engines done 75,000 miles after it's rebuild so I reckon as long as I change the oil before I go and when I get back I won't feel to guilty... I think!

And there are a few reasons we are going, maybe to get away from the humdrum of everyday life and to enjoy something we all appreciate, cars, engines etc and probably because we've always talked about doing it, so why the hell not:-)