Roger Blassberg

Passat ABS problem, Corrado Forum expertise required!!

The ABS/EDS on my LHD Passat has decided to misbehave AGAIN, throwing up a fault code on one of the rear outlet valves in the hydraulic block. No one seems interested in repairing/rebuilding the unit

The ATE part number for the valve assembly is 10.0501-7835.3, VW part number 3AO/1H1 698 217 B is the combined hydraulic block and pump, the pump being ATE 10.0447-0745.3.

I have sourced an ATE 10.0501-7836.3 (note 7836, not 7835) from a Golf 3. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Does 7836 supersede 7835? They certainly look the same.

I have asked ATE Classic for their opinion, but have received no reply.

Master cylinder and servo are different, but that's irrelevant, it's the valveblock I am interested in.

It has reached the stage where this problem is taking me down the path of scrapping the car because it won't pass the MOT, so am quietly desperate for an opinion...........

RW1, are you there when I need you most on this recurring problem???

Best wishes

RB

Thanks, Dox. I spoke to them as my first port of call and they are not interested in hydraulic problems apparently, only electronics.

Or did I get a shaggy dog story from somebody there who just didn't really want to know?

Supercharged, do you have a contact number for Steve Cresswell ?

Thanks both for very prompt responses.

RB

why not strip the ABS off as most of the Rallye lads do . I went through 18months of ABS woes on my Corrado swapped out just about everything and in teh end turned out teh be teh master cylinder which is obsolete so went to a company called past parts and had both my brake and clutch masters remanufactured

(I have sourced an ATE 10.0501-7836.3 (note 7836, not 7835) from a Golf 3. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Does 7836 supersede 7835? They certainly look the same.)

When I looked for a spare ATE brake master cylinder, ( looking at golf 3 cylinders for my ABS corrado ) I came to the conclusion that the last group of numbers after the dash signify mods/revisions/manuf. date. I may be wrong but I think you are probably OK and have simply found a slightly later unit!

When I contacted ATE about substitutes they simply stated the master cylinder was now obsolete and there was no alternative, ie they weren't interested!

Thanks, Dox. I spoke to them as my first port of call and they are not interested in hydraulic problems apparently, only electronics.

Or did I get a shaggy dog story from somebody there who just didn't really want to know?

Supercharged, do you have a contact number for Steve Cresswell ?

Thanks both for very prompt responses.

RB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390410016844?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Maybe someone was having a bad day or maybe the cleaner answered the phone? I emailed them before xmas as I'm having oulet valve issued with my sorned car, they said they needed part numbers and would have to rebuild my unit as there was no rebuilt units on the shelves anymore for cars of this age.

Dumpty Boy, (Rob) good offer, thanks. Mine is LHD though and I believe it is very different arrangement on RHD.

Dox, it certainly seems from the eBay ad that they do hydraulics; I'll try again, this time I'll ask for the boss not the oily rag.........

BMWCompact, that sounds reassuring. I'm as disappointed as you that ATE are apparently not interested in being helpful.

G60 CS, not keen to lose ABS, but the thought certainly crossed my mind. The recent icy spell soon made me reconsider though. I think the insurance company would see it as an unacceptable modification.

Anyone else's thoughts are very welcome and will receive acknowledgement.

RB

which model year of the LHD passat U have there?

Edited by tomi

Abs unit on lhd is completely different to rhd. Lhd incorporates abs pump,valve block,accumalator and master cylinder all into one block. Expensive even when you could get them £2500 for a unit! And they're non serviceable. Think seen someone on here took a step by step guide to dismantling one but that's rhd one.

Worse comes to worse mate I could see about bidding on German eBay for you and you cover all the costs item and shipping.they turn up all the time.or you could see if you can find one as some deliver to uk

Dannyboy,

yes, that's the way to go. I am going through that process now and have found a few at around 100 Euros. Fortunately I speak German so can deal with these people if questions arise. Thanks for your offer of help though.

I note that marders ate your Corrado - they did the same to my Passat hoses when we lived in Berlin.

Best wishes

RB

I note that marders ate your Corrado - they did the same to my Passat hoses when we lived in Berlin.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah chewed through fuel lines,car went up in flames!

provided everything is removed , sensors , lights etc etc no problem with either MOT or insurance you'll want Mk2 Golf 16v stuff