jpowell79

lack of power, car stuttering - likely cuprits?

I had similar symptoms and same error code after driving around a very snowy/slushy roads in Scotland last week. Turned out the connector for the engine speed sensor (just below the 3 coolant temp sensors) had managed to get water in it. Dried it out thoroughly with a hair drier and its all fine again.

Might be worth a shot before spending any more money.

you could always have a look :)

removing the screw lid on the tank is a struggle 1st time, but you'll be able to see which pump it is, maybe with a torch, don't use a mains lead-light though :onfire:

when was the last time the ht leads were replaced? , they can still go bad inside even if the ruber looks good, you can get a cheap set for £35 on ebay + £13 for the tool , i would say for the amount of messing around , its worth buying just to tick off the list of possible problems,

you could always have a look :)

removing the screw lid on the top of the pump unit is a struggle 1st time, but you'll be able to see which pump it is, maybe with a torch, don't use a mains lead-light though :onfire:

So I finally got round to getting the fuel pump out of the corrado this weekend! - It was a bugger to get out! That rotating screw cap thing at the top of the unit just wouldn't twist for love nor money. I eventually managed to loosen it by positioning a piece of wood against one of the plastic lips around the top of it, and hammered it until it started moving!

Anyhow, got it out and it is the VDO...... found a cheapo pump on ebay, but it seems to have conflicting information as far as compatibility is concerned.

When I go through the compatibility checker, it says it will fit..... but it also says that its won't fit in the list of restrictions (mine is a '95 VR6 and it says restrictions fro year 10/1994) - so am not sure if it's worth buying it or not?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETROL-PUMP-ELECTRIC-VW-CORRADO-GOLF-MK-3-III-1H-1E-MK-4-IV-1E-1-6-2-9-/380673772015?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item58a1ecc9ef#ht_7507wt_1368

Anyone bought one of these before?

Also, is there any quick test I can do on my existing pump to check 100% that it's knackered?

from looking at etka it appears that on chassis no. 50-R-008 001 onwards the 8v got a 3 bar VD0 pump (1H0 919 651 P) and the VR6 the 4 bar VDO (1H0 919 651 Q) before that the VR6 shared the pierburg 4 bar pump with the 8v and G60. I can't see an earlier VDO pump for the VR, there's just one part number (the Q suffix)

The info on that ebay ad is not right/to be trusted, at least with regards to the 16v 2.0, that never shared the same pump as it was ke-jet injection and totally different (not full EFI)

The other issue is the float/sender, I fitted a mk3 VR pump to my 8v and had to bend the float arm to get a sensible reading, so the mk3 fuel tank must be a different shape, although strangely both Pierburg and vdo floats have 1H0 (mk3) prefixed part numbers???

without hooking your car fuel system up to a pressure gauge I can't see how you can tell a pump is shot, other than the nasty whining noises they start to make

Edited by davidwort

No whining noise on mine just died all of a sudden just managed to get on off ebay for 70quid brand new genuine part

No whining noise on mine just died all of a sudden just managed to get on off ebay for 70quid brand new genuine part

Was that a one-off private seller or someone selling them? If so do you have a link?

Spoke to a guy at work who said that I should test it by putting it back in the tank, running a bit of pipe off the outlet feed of the pump into a bucket, then priming the engine to see what kind of pressure comes out. The guy knows a fair bit about cars, but he's never had a corrado before.....does this sound like a good way of testing the pump to see if it works?

Was that a one-off private seller or someone selling them? If so do you have a link?

Spoke to a guy at work who said that I should test it by putting it back in the tank, running a bit of pipe off the outlet feed of the pump into a bucket, then priming the engine to see what kind of pressure comes out. The guy knows a fair bit about cars, but he's never had a corrado before.....does this sound like a good way of testing the pump to see if it works?

Me and my dad are going to run the battery direct to the pump with wires to make 100% sure its the pump no turning means dead pump

As for the seller ill see if I can find him again

Edited by Jon_vr6

Must be the corrado fuel pump failure season ! , I need one too , will be having a look at eBay , parts for less is £122.00 for the Bosch pump .

---------- Post added at 8:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:39 PM ----------

Just looked mate and hes got no more for sale

Who did you by from Jon ? Conflicting prices . Thanks

Rob

also.... I guess it would make sense to see if the actual plug on the fuel pump is sending the signal to actual make the pump work in the first place.....I'm guessing I would have to use a multi-meter? never used one in my life....presumably they are pretty simple to use? anyone got a "how to test plugs on a corrado using a multimeter for dummies" link? :-)

also.... I guess it would make sense to see if the actual plug on the fuel pump is sending the signal to actual make the pump work in the first place.....I'm guessing I would have to use a multi-meter? never used one in my life....presumably they are pretty simple to use? anyone got a "how to test plugs on a corrado using a multimeter for dummies" link? :-)

Test the brown and red/yellow wires on plug

well whadya know! - I kept meaning to get round to doing something with this......anyways I decided I'd just put the pump back in for now.....after I did I thought to myself, "let me just try it.....you never know!"........... so fired it up and next thing I know it's running again!

Not quite a fairytale ending though....... drove it round the block a couple of times, and it felt like every now and then it was losing power......especially when I was downshifting round a corner in 2nd, and putting my foot down......felt like it was taking an age to get going.

So dies it sound like a knackered fuel pump then? I suppose I need to buy a pressure gauge now to see if the pressure from the pump is right!

Yeah my dad tested mine off the car with 12v and nothing then it spluttered into life. So intermittent problem but wasnt going to risk the old one so a new one went in