DriverVR6

Compression Testing Tool

Does anyone have experience of doing a compression test on a 2.0 16v 9a engine? I know the plug holes are recessed pretty deep in the head so my current compression tool does not reach. So I'm going to buy a new one. Any recommendations on which compression tool is suitable for this engine??

Thanks.

I've certainly done a test on the 16v, unfortunately I used my dads tester and he's off on hols atm will let you know which one it is when I can.

I use the AST compression test tool. This comes as a box kit available through Snapon dealers, or direct to AST.

Bought a compression tester today and checked compression and there is very little compression in cylinders 3 & 4. Cylinders 1 & 2 are fine. I think it is the head/valves so I'm trying to get hold of another complete head. It doesn't sound like the bottom end. It's too cold to strip it in this weather so I will have to wait until it warms up a little.....

Did you try putting a few drops of oil down the effected bores?

Would then show if it was rings.

As above, try a wet test to rule out the rings. What makes you think it's the valves? Could be the headgasket has gone between 3 and 4? What other symptoms have you got?

Swampy, yes tried the wet test and it made no difference at all to the compression readings.

tony_ack, I think it is the head/valves as when the engine is under load and the revs are building to above 2000rpm you get a clattering noise. Sticking valves may be?? From within the car it sounded like pinking, only much louder. The noise is coming from within the head. I'm going to take the cam cover off when I start to strip it down so hopefully I'll see something wrong straight away. At idle and low revs it is running on 2 cylinders as removing plug leads 3 & 4 makes no difference at all. When you get to high revs it does seem to "run" on 4 cylinders, but this is just because the momentum of the engine is building some compression and cylinders 3 & 4 start "working" a little better.

You make a good point about the head gasket may be leaking between cylinders 3 & 4, although I don't think it is going to be as simple as that, as it never is!!!

I've never opened up a VW 16 valve head before so are the tappets/valves hydraulic like on a 8v head??

Had this problem on my mk1 clio 16v, head gasket was blown between 3-4 but sounded horrific giving me the impression it was a lot more (dropped a valve or collapsed valve springs) so just whip the head off before you go spending out on another head.

I took the head off this morning and it was a good call by you guys as it has turned out to be a blown head gasket between cylinders 3 & 4. And it is definitely well blown!

Surprisingly the cylinder bores have hardly any wear which is amazing for an engine that has done over 200k. Before the head gasket blew the engine ran very well with good power, and it did not leak any oil, use any excessive engine oil or blow out blue smoke from the exhaust, etc so I am wondering if the engine has been swapped at some point in the cars life. Seems internally to be in way too good a condition for a 200k plus engine.

I was not going to bother to repair it, but as the engine seems to be in such good condition I've ordered a new head gasket and cylinder head bolts and I will put it all back together tomorrow. Fingers crossed........