sankysvr6

G60 advice please

Hi everyone,

I am hopefully to go look and buy a Corrado G60, this weekend.

The car in question is about 400 miles away, round trip from my home.

The problem is the supercharger has never had a rebuild, but all the belts have been changed and its had regular oil changes.

Do you guys think it might be risky, for the charger to go on the trip home. And what advice could you give so it doesn't.

I will have the charger rebuilt once I get the car home.

Edited by sankysvr6
Spelling

I had a G60 4 or 5 years ago, only had 52k on it, the charger had never been rebuilt, it went pop a few weeks after I bought it, I had already contacted G-werks regarding a rebuild and was gonna have it sent down.......to late though

I just want it to make the journey home, will have it rebuilt after that.

What's the worse that can happen if it goes pop, is it just a case of getting a new charger.

I've got breakdown cover, so not sure if i could just take something off and get them two me home. I know it's not right, just an idea.

It would probably be cheaper for you to arrange a courier to transport the car for you. Go on http://www.shiply.com/ and see how much people would charge to move the car. If you're certain you want to buy it and don't need to go up and see it just get it couriered - save yourself 400miles on fuel and save the charger from blowing.

Seriously people, if the engine has had regular oil changes and the belts have been replaced then a G60 is not a time bomb.

Most chargers end up getting eaten because the smaller belt between scrolls fails and I've heard of too many that have failed post rebuild.

Surely to recover a car 200 miles you will be looking at 200+ quid and then 600+ on a charger rebuild on a car you have never seen/driven??

Edited by mrginge

The supper charger is oil fed and so has oil seals in side it,

so if these oil seals rupture then you'll get oil in to the inter cooler,

plus when oil delivery is reduced to the inner working of the G-charger i.e the bearings as well,

it can over heat or seiz as there is a very small tollerence in the clearances between the inner workings,

(meaning the G-charger will smash to bits in side) even though the ribbed power belt is ok.

So you really need to check the air intake for signs of oil.

Plus has the supper charger got the standard pulley on it,

as a lot of people put on a smaller sized pulley to make the G-Charger spin faster to try and gain more B H P (Brake Horse Power)

which can give the supper charger a shorter life as it's having to work harder.

Standard G60 B H P is 158 to 160 ish with standard pulley,

with smaller pulley you can have power gains up to 200 to 220 ish B H P.

Si :thumbleft:

Car is running a standard pulley so all stock.

So am i correct in saying that if the worst happens and the charger pops, i will have to pay around £1300 for new one. Can assume there will be no damage to the rest of the engine.

I really want to look at it, and make sure its all right.

is it a daily driver or has it been shut in a barn for 5 years? If it's on the original size pulley and has been properly serviced then I can't see it's going to be a problem, it's a bit like saying will the cambelt snap.

You could always drive it 2 miles down the road, remove the fuel pump relay and call the AA to take it home for you :)

Its also worth noting that the presence of boost return will see oil in the boost line as it scavenges the engine crankcase cases from the top of the cylinder head along the boost return line.

As others have said it could go at any moment but I would want to see a stock air filter fitted, the boost return system still in place and I would inspect the chargers tooth belt for signs of failure/degredation.

Apart from that it should be good to go.

Thanks everyone.

I will take the risk and drive it back, wish me luck.

Will post some pictures when and if i have it at home this weekend

Yep, just warm it up first and don't thrash it...

That' s stating the bleeding obvious ;-) that applies to any engine. You can just as easily kill a 16v or a VR6 by thrashing it whilst cold.

It is worth considering that in the UK 125k miles is apparently high but in other countries that is considered quite low, if you look on VW Vortex and Fortitude you will see that there are quite a few guys running G60s with over 200km on them and some with over 300km some having had no rebuilds, others having had 2-3 - 7 so there is no exact science.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't be cautious as you should check the engine carefully and go on a test drive but don't convince yourself or others that simply because it is a charger that has not had a rebuild it will go BANG the moment you turn the key!

or.........just buy a VR6 & dont worry about a charger ;)

sorry couldnt resist lol

Haha exactly, buy a Vr6 that needs it's cam chains replaced and/or a worn bottom end replacing and then a G60 rebuild is considered cheap ;-)

Well after the 6hour drive she is finally home and tucked away in the garage for the night.

Took it nice and steady, and there were no issues at all. Well happy, thanks for everyone's help and input.