fla

Any builders on here? suspended flooring issue

We've just had a ground floor extension done on the house where the floor is a suspended beam floor with hangers to the bricks. However, since completion there is still the resonance of the floor although it has a double layer of ply and we've also put some 18mm wood flooring on it. The washing machine really makes it vibrate. It seems to me that perhaps they did not use enough joist hangers? Or is this normal?

I will try some anti vibration pads under the machine, but there does appear to be a small amount of flex in the floor too. Would be interested in suggestions or comments.

I'm no expert but a washing machine on a suspended floor isn't ideal...

Is it a kitchen? If so, anywhere else you can move the machine too?

Supercharged, you're right and we were thinking of relocating to another side (original section) which has a concrete base. However, this will need new plumbing and rejugging the cabinets to suit.

Science - good article, i've seen that one plus several others so what i might do is to try and decouple the machine from the floor via some mdf and rubber feet. The only issue is the clearance between the machine and the worktop which is about 15mm. So perhaps 5mm mdf (or perhaps wood) and around 10mm rubber, which will compress a few mms.

Yeah I forgot to mention about making sure the machine is levelled properly etc - makes a huge difference if not!

If there is solid concrete I would deffo move it - the flex water pipes can be extended easily enough if you have plinth space under the cabinets - just the waste plumbing which is a pain!

how old is the machine and what condition? most machines get over-loaded all the time and this leads to distorted drums and vibration, like and out-of-balance car wheel.

I've run machines on suspended floors and concrete floors and a new or properly balanced machine should be fine even with a high spin speed.

LG make a direct drive washing machine where the motor is fixed directly to the drum (no drive belt needed so far less jumping around when the drum rotates), vibration is much reduced. They have perspex covered examples on show in Currys.

How old is your current machine? Our previous Hotpoint was nearly 20 years old, replaced with a newer Hotpoint the noise is night and day better.

its actually about 5 days old! there are a few issues with the machine itself (excessive whining from the belt) so the technician will come and have a look at the weekend.

I've tried to balance it as far as possible moving in all directions until theres no apparent movement, but as its still brand new depending on the price of the LG i might look into that. Like yours Dox, its a Hotpoint. Any comments regarding my trying it on mdf/rubber?

What is the floor span? If correctly specified, a beam and block floor shouldn't give any noticeable bounce. As a comparison, our washing maching is on a slate floor underlain with chipboard and insulation on a concrete slab - i can still feel the vibration of it from in the lounge! The ply may give some bounce to the floor but for normal domestic conditions, the beam and block flooring should be ok. Although i've just noticed - you say beams - do you mean timber joists or concrete beams?

Waz

(Your residential structural engineer...)

its actually about 5 days old! there are a few issues with the machine itself (excessive whining from the belt) so the technician will come and have a look at the weekend.

I've tried to balance it as far as possible moving in all directions until theres no apparent movement, but as its still brand new depending on the price of the LG i might look into that. Like yours Dox, its a Hotpoint. Any comments regarding my trying it on mdf/rubber?

Ours is on a tiled concrete floor, its very smooth and quiet, even on spin. The old one used to shake the room! I'd wait for the engineer before any mods are made

I posted that but it's disappeared! Last two washing machines I was asked to 'look at' still had them in.

Have the transit bolts been removed :rolleyes:

As Wazza says, what is the span? No doubt you are referring to timber beams, given your joist hanger reference. If designed correctly there should be no noticeable bounce on the suspeneded floor, afterall most first floors are timber/ suspended in nature, (edit - and dont show excessive bounce). There will of course be an acceptable tolerance for movement, but yours sounds very much in excess. Was the builder competent enough to handle the design?

Edited by Storm Guy

Span is 3m depth by 6m wide. It's a ground floor extension and instead of a hardcore base plus insulation and screed I thought they were capable of doing joists to improve insulation. These were the few days I couldn't check that this was done correctly. I'm not sure how to get around this. It's not bad but the washing machine vibration has highlighted this somewhat.

Transit screws were removed and the supplied caps were fitted to close the access holes.