Sign in to follow this  
CORRADO4LIFE

Help need a windowscreen ASAP!

Here is my dilemma I have got a massive crack across my window screen. But my tax and mot run out tomorrow! So I can’t tax my car until I show a valid mot which ran out yesterday, I can’t get an mot with out getting my window screen fixed, and I can’t claim on my insurance coz I’m only third party!

Just got a quote from Auto Window screens, they told me that all corrado’s came with a tinted green window screen, funny as mine looks very clear to me! And they quoted me for a clear one: £513 + vat and for a tinted one £460 +vat,… does that sound right and can I get one cheaper any where else,…any advice would be much appreciated

Auto Windscreens are a bunch of Dick Turpins.....

My screen was £109.

Shop around mate, there are far better prices than Auto Windscreens.

K

Got mine done at a local windscreen place on my last Corrado for £250 all in.

I had to take it back first time as it leaked :mad:, but the company boss was very apologetic and took it back right away and sorted it. No problems after.

So yeah, you can find cheaper prices out there for sure.

Not being funny but you could do it yourself. All you need is the screen, between £100 and £150 retail, a tube of polyurethane glue (sikaflex) and 4 hours curing time.

You just get in the car, kick the old screen out, remove as much of the old glue as possible, apply liberal amounts of sikaflex to the screen apeture, stick the screen in, push the seal into the grooves and let it dry for 4 hours. Job done.

There are no special skills or tools required.

K

Not being funny but you could do it yourself. All you need is the screen, between £100 and £150 retail, a tube of polyurethane glue (sikaflex) and 4 hours curing time.

There are no special skills or tools required.

K

Does the new screen come with new rubber? The bodyshop are going to replace my screen, being the thorough person i'm thought i be better replace this too. Are they expensive?

I ve been getting windscreen quotes in the last few days! the ranges of the quotes are ridiculous autoglasss quoted me £490+ vat +£90 for the rubber trim seal then the RAC quoted me 450 ithink +vat + the seals. I went to VAG to see how much anew screen was and that came out to 150+vat with the green top tint I was a bit suprised to say the least when it was only that much so I decided to ring a few more companies in the yellow pages and found a guy that uses original glass and doesn't quote extra for the seal that usually have to be replaced anyway all for £220 inc vat Bargain

corrado4life check your policy as i'm only tpft on my mk4 polo and claimed a new windscreen under the window cover for £50! Might be worth checking :D

ive got a little stonechip in mine :mad: , what is the score with those companies that say they can repair the windscreen without replacing the whole thing? anyone had any experiences?

cheers

ive got a little stonechip in mine , what is the score with those companies that say they can repair the windscreen without replacing the whole thing? anyone had any experiences?

If the chip is the same size or smaller than a 5 pense peice then it should be posible, Just had it done on my mums mk3 Golf (free on the insurance) and there is no evidence of the crack at all and it had gone right thru the glass, amazing 8)

How do you tell the difference between a pattern screen and a genuine screen?

Lookin' throught my insurance doc's, they will only cover the cost of replacement if i use there windscreen company.

There is no difference between 'pattern' and VW glass since VW don't actually make glass. The glass VW used in the Corrado wasn't brilliant anyway, scratches easily. So one slab of glass is just as good as another imo.

If the fitter does a good job, you don't need to replace the seal. I've seen many a corrado with a rippley seal after a change, even when using a new one. It's all in the workmanship, not the parts. Save yourself some money and reuse the old one, unless it's split.

Find a fitter that has done Corrados before. It makes a huge difference to the finished job.

K

hello buddy! im in blackpool too try a place called tower windscreens,did mine for just over £200 quid,they,re good lads did a good job

There is no difference between 'pattern' and VW glass since VW don't actually make glass. The glass VW used in the Corrado wasn't brilliant anyway, scratches easily. So one slab of glass is just as good as another imo.

Sekurit make the original screens and glass places can get these cheaper without the VAG logs (I assume they are as good quality)

Pilkington (New Zealand) make the 'pattern' ones that seem to scratch easily and some have flat spots - avoid!

Corrado4life asked about this in 2004 and hasn't logged in since July 2004.

Maybe he's sorted his screen now?

both my c's had replacement Pilkington screens previous to my ownership and both leaked in really heavy rain - coincidence!!?? weirdly they both leaked from the same spot too. just from the top right of the screen so it'd drip on your leg as you are driving.....Avoid

I got a new windscreen supplied and fitted for £220, the guy who fitted it said he'd done loads of corrados and if it's done properly there's really no problem!

And it's true, 3 months later and i have no leaks or visible clues as to the replacement windscreen.

Definately shop around, £500+ is a total rip off!

Here is my dilemma I have got a massive crack across my window screen. But my tax and mot run out tomorrow! So I can’t tax my car until I show a valid mot which ran out yesterday, I can’t get an mot with out getting my window screen fixed, and I can’t claim on my insurance coz I’m only third party!

Just got a quote from Auto Window screens, they told me that all corrado’s came with a tinted green window screen, funny as mine looks very clear to me! And they quoted me for a clear one: £513 + vat and for a tinted one £460 +vat,… does that sound right and can I get one cheaper any where else,…any advice would be much appreciated

Have you actually checked your policy, in my experience most insurers cover windscreen, even on 3rd party f&t, my current policy (tpft) requires a £50 excess, and I'm sure all my other 3rd party policys covered windscreens! Give them a ring!

Corrado4life asked about this in 2004 and hasn't logged in since July 2004.

Maybe he's sorted his screen now?

LOL