sankysvr6

Sanky's G60

U hang around me too much, Sanky!

I DID warned u about my luck ;) :lol:

Anyway, glad its sorted :thumb right:

So this weekend I finally did the gearbox oil change that I've been meaning to do since I got it back on the road.

Before the oil change I was getting a bit of a clunk when pressing in the clutch pedal. Getting 1st and reverse gears were slightly difficult and the gear changes were not really smooth. Which I just put down to been an old car and the characteristics of the car.

Well after the oil change I'm really quite amazed how everything has become super smooth, gear changes are all nice and slick.

If you're reading this and you're not sure when your gearbox oil was last changed, change it now.

Old oil looked very dark

[ATTACH]81341[/ATTACH]

Drain and refill plugs cleaned

[ATTACH]81342[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81343[/ATTACH]

Used this oil,,to flush it out and will do another change in a few months time for some Redline stuff.

[ATTACH]81344[/ATTACH]

Did a change to redline not long ago and gear changes do feel smoother. Only downside is it feels thicker when cold.

Did a change to redline not long ago and gear changes do feel smoother. Only downside is it feels thicker when cold.

Others have said that about the Redline stuff, Cant say I'm noticing this with Valvoline stuff I've put in.

When I put redline in my VR before, didn't really feel any difference at all to tell you the truth.

Others have said that about the Redline stuff, Cant say I'm noticing this with Valvoline stuff I've put in.

When I put redline in my VR before, didn't really feel any difference at all to tell you the truth.

I drive mine when it's cold though, not just sunny weekends. :)

I actually feel mine LESS silky smooth since replacing with Redline stuff :( :eek: :shocked!:

Bit of an update, finally got my seat bolster repaired. Was sick of old foam crumbs on the carpet every time I was getting in and out.

Before

[ATTACH]81474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81475[/ATTACH]

Placed masking tape down before removing the seat, so not to get grease on the carpet.

[ATTACH]81476[/ATTACH]

Repaired seat fitted

[ATTACH]81477[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81478[/ATTACH]

The base of the seat was very soft, looked cracked from underneath. So had that cut out and new foam added. Seat feels a lot more firmer now, like new.

One job off the To-Do-List, and another 2 added.

But I do still love it, hell yeah!!!

So had a small puddle on the garage floor red in colour., in front of the engine on the drivers side.

Instinct went straight Into denial, thinking it was maybe just detailing spray. Even tough It smelt and tasted like coolant.

So cleaned the floor, and couldn't see any thing dripping, so thought maybe it was just one off. Took the car out for a little drive, trying to stay localish just incase anything it would start leaking all together. Which it didn't, but when I parked the car back in the garage and looked underneath. There it was little drips, running down the power steering pump.

So did some reading on the forum, and some research. And started hoping it was just the thermostat housing. Took the bracket off that's covering the power steering pump, and everything was dry.

Feeling a bit fed up, locked up the garage and went back inside. Had a little think about it, and thought I'm going have to go all in, change the water pump.

So this where I am at now.

[ATTACH]81578[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81579[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81580[/ATTACH]

One job off the To-Do-List, and another 2 added.

1 step forwards & 2 back eh m8 ;) lol

keep up the good work, it'll get there

1 step forwards & 2 back eh m8 ;) lol

keep up the good work, it'll get there

Isn't it always the case

[ATTACH]81592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81593[/ATTACH]

Bit of a tidy up, not as good as other members on here. But not confident enough to pull the whole engine out.

So got the new pump back on with a new thermostat and housing. Also decided to replace the spring clamps with some shiny new jubilee clips I had in the garage. Which was my first mistake.

[ATTACH]81629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81630[/ATTACH]

I then placed a bowl with some kitchen towels underneath the pump before filling, to spot any leads. I then filled the system from the top hose, with some neat coolant and the same amount of distilled water through the expansion tank.

[ATTACH]81631[/ATTACH]

Fitted everything back in, feeling pleased with my work. Mistake number 2

[ATTACH]81632[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81634[/ATTACH]

Filled the rest of the system with 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.

Also replaced the expansion tank, just to tidy the engine bay up a little.

[ATTACH]81635[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81636[/ATTACH]

Started the car to bleed the system no leaks which is a good start., fans kicked. Switched off and had a tidy up.

Went for a quick drive round the block and noticed the temp gauge was going past the normal 90 mark. Going to almost 100, which got me worried thinking there is air lock in the system.

Parked back in the garage to let it cool down, and after it while it's dripping from the new jubilee clamp tried doing them up more, which stopped it for awhile.

Tried bleeding the system again, with expansion cap off. Fans come on and there is no difference in the coolant level.

Put some kitchen towel near the thermostat housing and called it day.

This morning the kitchen towel is wet , also had a think about why the temp gauge was going past the 90 mark, and could only think thermostat is stuck.

So took the housing off and replaced the fin jubilee clamps for the old spring clamps.

Also checked the both the old new thermostats in a saucepan over the cooker. And to my surprise, the new stat takes longer to open, and doesn't not open as wide as the old thermostat. So refitted the old one back in the car. Will take the new one back to the dealers.

Refilled the coolant system again, but ran short of new coolant. Had to make a begging phone call to Wayne, who gave me his part bottle of new coolant.

Thanks man for that 🏼

Bit of pain fitting the thermostat from underneath, but did mange to get all back on.

Temps have returned to 90, and so far no leaks. Will check again tonight once it's all cooled down. Left the bowl to spot any leaks.

So a couple of tips.

1 Don't fit jubilee clips unless you are fitting new houses. Even then spring clamps are probably better. As the old rubber hoses have moulded with the clamps.

2. Check your thermostats, before fitting. Will save you a lot of hassle, and will give you peace that it's working.

Edited by sankysvr6

Well there are no leaks, so I think it's safe to say it's all fixed now.

[ATTACH]81658[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81659[/ATTACH]

Edited by sankysvr6

A bit of delayed update,

So been having a clunking going on gear change, so after asking around at few garages it seemed the pressure plate and realise bearing was the probable cause.

So with the help of Chris Aka Vag Hag, (I say help, but he did all the work I was just there for support)

We decided to change the clutch, i also replace the clutch fork at the same time. Just for good measure.

[ATTACH]81923[/ATTACH]

Been also tidying the engine bay up, and repairing the old broken earth straps. Quite simple if you've got the time and patience

[ATTACH]81924[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81925[/ATTACH]

Open the old connectors up

[ATTACH]81926[/ATTACH]

and crimp on some new tinned copper wire, which will last better then standard copper stuff.

[ATTACH]81927[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81928[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81929[/ATTACH]

Sure is Wayne, think I might be bored until something needs fixing again.

Please don't say that, u know what our cars are like ....

...they forever needs fixing :lol:

Sure is Wayne, think I might be bored until something needs fixing again.

If u REALLY bored - u can put my headliner back in my C for me! :lol:

Not really done anything to my C myself since moving house :(

Oh, I missed tinkering the old girl ....

After having the car issues fixed, I set about cleaning the engine bay up just to get rid of the greasy marks.

Not sure what happened, when cleaning near the inlet manifold I accidentally caught it and broke the plastic price the holds the throttle cable .

[ATTACH]82015[/ATTACH]

For temporary fix I tied it with cable ties, but I didn't like this fix or have much confidence in it. So i set about looking for a spare part or a complete throttle body.

[ATTACH]82016[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82017[/ATTACH]

Measured up I got a friend of mine to machine me a part from aluminium.

[ATTACH]82018[/ATTACH]

I then set about cleaning the throttle body, and seeing how best to get the broken part off.

Before

[ATTACH]82019[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82020[/ATTACH]

After

[ATTACH]82022[/ATTACH]

Edited by sankysvr6

Nice Work, Sanky! :thumbleft:

Can't believe u still having some bad luck even though I no longer around that much :lol:

Cheers Wayne,

Repaired the broken part of the throttle body, hopefully this should never break.

This the offending part with the plastic removed.

[ATTACH]82030[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82031[/ATTACH]

This is my repair.

[ATTACH]82032[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82033[/ATTACH]

Not fitted the repaired part, as I managed to get a spare throttle body where I took the part off for now. Also just want to drive it around and enjoy it.

Finally a couple pictures from a weekend break with the misses.

[ATTACH]82034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82035[/ATTACH]

I think it's fair to say the car look right at home, also got some nice comments from other guest complementing the car. Which was nice

Edited by sankysvr6

Would be good to see it in the flesh, mine is very similar just earlier.

Looks great condition mate. Nice to see one original. Mine doesn't come out too often!

b0708d28d6287e296dcb66f6b41fa6cb.jpg

92bb055223b8157bec9e410f9352eb91.jpg