sankysvr6

Sanky's G60

So i sold the VR6 Highline after 8 1/2 years of ownership, to fella from Shetland Island just after Xmas last year.

2012-12-08-165.jpg

Didn't really know what to get as replacement, fancied a MK4 R32 at first. But after some thinking, decided to get something older as i can always pick up an R32 later as there are plenty about.

Looked at some BMW E30 Sports, but couldn't really find a decent example that were in standard factory condition.

So after chatting with a few mates, decided to go for a Corrado. Didn't want a VR6 as I already had a Golf VR6, and even though the driving experience is totally different in the rado just didn't fancy one.

I wanted something more exclusive so went on the look for a nice standard G60, as this engine was only available in RHD in this model i think.

So after some searching, saw this motor on gumtree.

P1020473_zpsed2abbda.jpg

So after some chatting and and exchanging emails, caught the train to Reading for proper look and to make sure the car was described. Which it was, so did the bank transfer and started my 270mile journey home.

Leaving

AtEarly_zps7e91c166.jpg

Toddigton

AtToddigton_zps91a9e741.jpg

Leicester Forest

AtLeicesterForrest2_zps2b6497d0.jpg

Tibshelf

AtTibshelf_zps49d77623.jpg

Home

AtHome_zps93e1748e.jpg

Great drive and no drama.

Had a little time the other day so gave it a quick clean.

2013-03-05-286_zps98e3b27e.jpg

2013-03-05-281_zps1fdc6d1a.jpg

2013-03-05-282_zps2c22a563.jpg

2013-03-05-283_zps4d87d547.jpg

2013-03-05-287_zps456e0caa.jpg

Just need to get the charger rebuilt, and have the wheels refurbished for now and then maybe decide next year what to do with it.

Welcome to the corrado universe :-) good move mate and I'm sure this will be a long term investment!!

Well done looks like you have found yourself a very clean and honest example of our loved Coupe. The G60 is, for my part the right choice. Enjoy your years of ownership to come.

Looks absolutely fantastic - Corrado suits red so well and yours looks to be in excellent condition :) What sort of mileage does it have?

Worth mentioning though that the G60 was sold in LHD as well, so not a RHD exclusive or anything.

Looks absolutely fantastic - Corrado suits red so well and yours looks to be in excellent condition :) What sort of mileage does it have?

Worth mentioning though that the G60 was sold in LHD as well, so not a RHD exclusive or anything.

Thanks Jim, what I meant was the corrado G60 was the only car that was a RHD version sold in the UK by the dealers. All the other versions were sold in Germany or where ever bought back to the UK.

The cars got 130k on it, and only has 2 previous owners.

wow that's a great standard G right there...... the paint looks immaculate ,has it had a respray ? if not someone has been really looking after that red paint!!!!

you need an early 7 slat grill on there !

also is it just me or does it have a late style bonnet ?

Edited by northG60

Thanks for the positive comments, yes it has had some paint in its life. Some areas are not so clever, and will need looking into at some point.

Not sure if the bonnet and grill has been changed, but i like it makes it look a bit more modern.

Dropped the G60 off today, to have the old alarm and immobiliser taken out. Which according to the receipts was fitted in 1995, so I think it was due change.

Having Cobra 4138hf fitted with full closure and microwave sensors, instead of the normal ultra sonics. So the cabin should look nice and clean, with no sensor on the 'A' pillars.

Have also placed an order with VW for some genuine mats.

So got the car back of Friday from the alarm fitters, not sure why it took so long. I think they didn't order the parts or the guy who i booked it in with didn't put it in the diary or something.

I did recorded the mileage before, and they haven't put any on, lol.

Only thing is some of the features i asked for have not been programmed, like the one touch full closure and the re arming of the immobiliser after a certain time. Also think the sensitive needs turning down, as the alarm is going off sat on my drive, but its okay when its in the garage. So will take it back this week some time.

While had the car for the weekend I wanted to tackle the front bumper gap on the passenger side, as it was annoying me load. A lot of messing about with trialling things spent all day Saturday on it and a few hours on Sunday putting it back together. But the final result is a lot better, and I'm happy with the results.

Side view before

FrontBumperSideBefore_zps78428c21.jpg

After

FrontBumperSideAfter_zps57f97540.jpg

Conner view before

FrontBumperConnerBefore_zpsc2f6fcda.jpg

Conner view after

FrontBumperConnerAfter_zpsf9d44f38.jpg

Top view before

FrontBumperLeftTopBefore_zps36e88708.jpg

After

FrontBumperTopLeftAfter_zpsd26cc46e.jpg

So what do you all think?

So time for a little update.

One of the jobs on the to-do list was the rocker cover gasket, as it looks like it has been leaking down one side for a very long time.

I ordered 2 gaskets, one from GSF (victor reinz) and one from AVS (erling). After doing some reading about the 2 gaskets, it seemed the US guys prefer the (vr) one and the UK people prefer the (erling) one.

Both gaskets were slightly different with each other, but the erling one was the same as the one i had taken off. So fitted that one.

You can see it looking wet, behind the alternator in the picture bellow.

P1020479_zpsd70ed600.jpg

Cover off

RockerCoverGasketChange5_zps24341230.jpg

All mating surfaces cleaned and dried, and ready for new gasket.

RockerCoverGasketChange7_zps4922dcd9.jpg

All back in place, and seems to be all dry after letting the engine run for awhile.

RockerCoverGasketChange8_zps791492b7.jpg

The next job on the list was to change the mismatch HT leads, ordered a nice set BERU one from AVS

RockerCoverGasketChange9_zps490dc017.jpg

Next on the to do list was to have the supercharger rebuilt, not only to ensure everything was running right. But also for a peace mind, so booked it in at Jabbasport and made the trip down last Thursday.

After speaking to Brain At Jabba, about the crank pulley bolt, I was advised to have it changed just like this forum has said. He also said that I should change the timing belt, as it will need to come to get the bolt off the pulley anyway. So had that done as well, so hopefully now it should be all pretty much bullet proof this side. LOL

The guys at Jabba gave a great service and a warm welcome, even dropped me off at the railway station and collected me on Saturday. As part of the service, would use these guys more if they were a bit closer.

So just a few pics of the charger after the rebuild.

InletCasting_zpsb33f0d1f.jpg

Diffuser_zpsd65fbab2.jpg

OutletCasting_zps9a1c513b.jpg

Brian did comment on how clean the charger was prior to its first ever rebuild.

EngineBayAfterChagerRebuild_zpsba8fee40.jpg

Also got some new genuine mats, and G60 grill badge waiting to be fitted.

NewG60Badge2_zps3a18fb4f.jpg

Mats1_zps12cd68ce.jpg

Just waiting on getting all the maintenance jobs out of the way, next on the list are the engine mounts that need changing.

Edited by sankysvr6

Very nice! Where did you get those mats from? They look nice.

Mats are from the dealers, they aren't cheap some where around £50 for the set. If you need the part number let me know and i'll dig it out for you.

Thanks Sanky, I'll drop you a PM if/when I need them :)

How much did the service at Jabba cost you if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting mine done just to be safe.

A little update,

My rear spoiler kept blowing the fuse every now and then when it was going up or down. So thought it was time to re grease the all the mechanism, there isn't any way to do the job properly with out taking it all apart. I believe the main the problem lies with the tubes that cables go through to raise ant retract the spoiler.

Didn't relay take any pictures, just some for reference so I could put it back together in the same way it came out. Which i recommend you do, if you ever tackle this job. Its not a difficult job and if you take your time you should be fine.

Lucky for me, everything came apart and went back with breaking anything, which was the best.

IMG_0150_zps14c7a6c3.jpg

IMG_0151_zps723c96f9.jpg

IMG_0152_zps7663b565.jpg

IMG_0153_zpsabd1222d.jpg

IMG_0162_zps6d91e933.jpg

The next job i have done was to recover the gear which i was really impressed with. I already had bought a new item, from VW but saw this cover on ebay for a £5 and thought why not have a go and see what happens.

This is the old gear knob, you can see the wear at the bottom which was letting the interior down no end.

GearKnobT1_zps6503afad.jpg

GearKnobS1_zps852e9a6d.jpg

Its good idea to place some masking tape at the bottom of the gear knob, so you mark which is the top and bottom. I also marked where the the stitching was going, but its not necessary.

First this was to remove the plastic from the top, this was gently prised off with a small screwdriver.

GearKnobT2_zps4d2e797b.jpg

Next was to lift the leather wear it had been folded at the bottom and the top, you also want to remove the metal plate from the top and plastic ring from the bottom

GearKnobT2_zps4d2e797b.jpg

GearKnobT3_zps2d30e1bc.jpg

After some pushing and shoving, you should be able to get the old leather off. Its not not stuck down or anything.

GearKnobS2_zps1816caa3.jpg

You then need to fit you gear knob through the top of your new leather cover, Make you sure you align your stitching with the slotted groves on the gear knob. When it got to the bulged part the knob, i applied some silicone oil to give it some lube. So that it could slip over a little easier.

I also applied a little thin piece of foam, under the shift patter as the old sponge hard warn away. This is needed to give it that little lift, otherwise it sits few mm to low.

Here are the final results.

IMG_0175_zps8538dc67.jpg

IMG_0176_zps90cce105.jpg

IMG_0178_zpsc1ca3b34.jpg

GearKnobS3_zps230fc798.jpg

And the new one, probably keep this.

77103c65-e7e3-482f-aef4-c7b7e438f3e2_zps6cdcfbb2.jpg

After some

So after i re trimmed the gear knob, and fitted it to the car. The gaiter and the handbrake were looking a bit tired, so these got re trimmed treatment as well.

Fitted4_zps31caba98.jpg

Fitted7_zpse227e5f3.jpg

Also decided to replace the rubbers on all the pedals and also add one to the accelerator pedal, as to me it looked kind of cheap in the bare metal.

Pedals1_zpsc9c664eb.jpg

Pedals4_zps9f8a10a9.jpg

My next problem was to find a solution for the rear VW badge, as I had already replaced the front one with a nice shiny genuine badge. Felt the rear one was letting the back end down big time.

As these are only available in black from classic parts, I had to improvise with a Golf Mk3 rear badge.

I bought a brand new genuine badge, but the problem with it was that its angled from the back where as the Corrado one is flat. So I got a friend at work to mill the back of the new VW badge down. After a few trips taking it home to trial fitting and then back to work for some more milling, I think the final result isn't to bad.

Before

RearBadgeOld_zpsb37333ed.jpg

Off

RearBadgeNone_zps022a9be1.jpg

New clips were fitted before fitting the new badge.

IMG_0242_zpsa417b6eb.jpg

IMG_0244_zps372b42f5.jpg

IMG_0243_zps32c05243.jpg

I think you can tell its not the original, but it does look better then the worn tired one.

---------- Post added at 8:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:11 AM ----------

Edited by sankysvr6