Sign in to follow this  
vr6corrado

Engine wouldn't start!

I'm sure I have seen a similar post before but having problems finding it. After a normal run I parked my C for about 15 mins and went back to it but it wouldn't start, it turned over ok, kind of fire up briefly and splutter then die - all within a second. The exhaust was making some popping noises and it was like the accelerator pedal wasn't connected to the throttle because pressing it had no effect on the revs when it fired very briefly. It eventually started perfectly normal after a few attempts several minutes later. It's never done this before and hasn't done it since. :? Is it possibly a fuelling issue? This is in addition to the ubiquitous stalling :roll:

could have something to do with fuel pressure with it needing a good few turns to build up pressure

Or it could be the dreaded Engine speed sensor losing it's resolution. £140 for a magnet and a 10" bit of wire :?

Might also be the fuel pump relay (no 167, grey in colour). Could even be the pump on it's way too.

Stalling is a VR6 thing unfortunately. The Idle valve tends to bind as it opens or closes. Even new ones do it occasionally.

What does help is cleaning it out (you'll notice scoring on the internal vane that rotates) with carb cleaner and also removing the throttle body (not a big job) and thoroughly cleaning it. Mine hasn't stalled at all since doing that.

K