VR6 sounds like a Diesel engine?......

Hi,

I have not owned a corrado before so not had time to research and get to know my way around the VR6 engine as yet.

I purchased a VR6 from "4eyes2wheels" yesterday and its had lots of work carried out including:

DGR+ Cams

New clutch, chains & all the trimmings.

The engine is making a sound I can only describe as a Diesel engine noise from the offside by the airbox.

Does anyone have ideas? :scratch:

Thanks

Dave.

If you could upload a video clip from a phone or something to YouTube might help with diagnosis! :)

I'll have a look in the service history to see if its had a tensioner.

Good idea about you tube

Thanks for replies.

One other thing you could try is remove the belt and start it up.

If noise is gone u know for definate its in that area...

you can with engine off spin the individual pulleys over for grumbly bearings.

If noise is still there with belt off it could be a exhaust blow - causing a clacking noise etc...

Use a cardboard kitchen roll tube as a stethoscope to help pinpoint the source of the sound. And if you do replace the pulley bearing remember it's a reverse threaded bolt :)

Think this is what's just happened to mine, does it also control the idle? I've read the link, where can I get the bearings from?

Found this clip and it's the same noise, quite when cold then loud when car is up to temperature.

Also found a old thread and noticed the old owner had the Same issue in 2011 :scratch:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?57224-VR6-Ticking-noise

I will have a look at the weekend and see if I can find out what this is, even though its only just had an oil change by a garage when the past owner had it think a flush and new oil may help as not sure what oil they put in.

Found this clip and it's the same noise, quite when cold then loud when car is up to temperature.

Also found a old thread and noticed the old owner had the Same issue in 2011 :scratch:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?57224-VR6-Ticking-noise

I will have a look at the weekend and see if I can find out what this is, even though its only just had an oil change by a garage when the past owner had it think a flush and new oil may help as not sure what oil they put in.

same noise as mines making,

ive just took the tensioner off and that all seems fine, theres no noise coming from the pulley onit, how ever the coolant pump pulley is wobbly and all the bolts seem tight, could this be the problem as it does make some noise when u try turning it by hand?

Coolant pump went on mine and it sounded like it was going to shake itself to pieces, should be no play in the pulley sounds like your problem.

You can 'just' get it if you undo the front and rear engine mounts and jack the engine up until the crank pulley touches the chassis rail, use a spreader block on the sump though. Takes a bit of wiggling but it will come out.

So I found out the oil in the car from the recent last service that the previous owner had done was 10w-30.

Even halfords state it should be 10w-40 and after a little research on here and the net with the fact mine has upgraded cams, exhaust, re mapped it should have better oil in it and maybe this was the cause for the tapping noise. So I changed the oil to mobil 1, 10w - 60 and while at it change the filter for a genuine vw one. The car is now running sweet and smooth. I think 10w - 50 would have done it but 10w-60 will cover all, plus it was on special.

Now all I need is the sun to come out and for the rain and snow to stop.:thumbleft:

Where did you buy it from?

Do you not think 10w60 will be too thick around town and cause issues with higher temps?

Edited by P3rks

Got it from halfords in end £39.99 for 5lts but had to buy two bottles, was cheaper brands but wanted the best.

No I think it will be fine just a wider range covered.