GTi.Si

VR6 Distributor repair?

Hi all.

I have been trying to diagnose a running fault on a friends VR6. Its using a lot of fuel, running rough, stalling on idle etc...

I've tracked it down to a broken off connector (with the wires!) on the bottom of the dizzy. I believe this is the hall sender. I have found what I think we need to fix it here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Distributor-Pick-Up-Coil-Pulse-Sensor-Audi-Vw-Seat-Skoda-14054-/400361472031?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Type%3A2.8+VR6&hash=item5d3767401f

Does anyone have any experience or a how to on how to change this?

Distributors are a little bit fiddly to repair, but they're easy enough to swap out. Perhaps see if you can have someone lend you a known good one and see if the running issue is cured.

I was thinking that would be the case! Biggest problem is VR6's with dizzys aren't the most common engines!

just rebuilt the dizzy on my ABF. The vr6 one looks pretty similar. Once you get the drive "cog" off the end its pretty simple. replace the oil seal when you're in there too. I'm not sure how you get the cog off a vr6 dizzy but on the abf one you have to knock a roll pin out from the middle which is the hardest bit as it involves a fair amount of force and you have to be careful not to crack the alloy casing. Perfectly do-able though if you're mechanically minded.