maff

Vr6 handling

I'm really enjoying having a vr6 corrado again, my 4th now! But I've noticed the latest one i have now doesnt feel as planted as my old ones used to?

I remember being able to really feel the tyres biting at the Tarmac on turn in but I'm getting a very light almost nervous feel to my steering, it's ok when it's settled into a turn but it's the initial oh god is it going to grip feeling I'm getting whereas before I don't remember this being the case.

For reference my car has had recent rear swing arm bushes, koni adjustables front and rear with 40mm h and r springs and everything's nice and tight, no knocks etc.

But I always ran toyos on my old vr6 and I have a matching set of Pirelli p6000's which I'm thinking maybe to blame?

And a geometry set up wouldn't go a miss I suppose

First things first here, if you have replaced bushes, shocks etc you need to get the cars geometry fully set up, once this is done I would take a look at the settings on your shockes, I have adjustable dampers on mine and they can make the car feel very sketchy if they arnt set up properly, you may find that the front wheels are jittery due to the way the damping is set up.....

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of suspension setup will post but it's a starting point.

Cheers

Ive got the koni's set to firm but would that make the turn in feel light? i mean smooth or bumpy roads, it feels the same.

And all bushes were done and I'm sure it's just had the tracking done afterwards, doesn't pull to one side and drives spot on tbh, just the initial glass like feeling which I don't remember having before, even my 330d sport feels alive compared to the rado but then they are not a bad handling at all tbh, maybe I've just forgotten what the vr,s drive like??

Checked the pressures! actually remember thinking something was wrong with my old corrado years ago, and the tyres were 4 or 5 psi difference which made a massive difference to the feel of the car!

Funny my 330d is exactly the same, I thought something was wrong with it the other day and checked pressures which were low so pumped them back up and great again 41psi in the rears for the Bm 235/35/18!

I might change the Pirelli p6000's for some toyo proxies tr1, have always liked them on every car I've had but they just don't last long enough!

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

I'll have a play with the dampening, it is pretty rock at the mo which I like!!

P6000's are on the whole, pretty rubbish in a car that is going to be driven. More designed to run forever on a normal commuting car in my experience of them. I always liked the ContiSport Contact 3's myself. A great all round tyre that is just as composed in the wet as it is in the dry. Think they are being replaced by the 5's though.

I think i'll try different tyres, never really been a fan of the pirellis but they are all matching and practically brand new, anybody want them?!