Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

Andy Brookes's Satin Silver VR6, its last journey...boohoo

Soyez le bienvenue J-E G60 Est ce que correct? Je dit la Francais un peu seulement aussi :)

yes correct :) ,me it is English whom I speak very small little

Just finished for the day, still need to pop on the bumper etc, but got her running with no fluids spilling out anywhere, so pretty pleased.

Two probs though, power steering pump is making a horrible noise, which did get quieter the longer it ran, so hopefully that will go away. The other prob is the battery clamps, they are just about to give up. Where is a good place to get new clamps. The original VW are a nice design except for the way they clamp and I can see them being expensive from VW.

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Just finished for the day, still need to pop on the bumper etc, but got her running with no fluids spilling out anywhere, so pretty pleased.

The original VW are a nice design except for the way they clamp and I can see them being expensive from VW.

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Think there £7 +vat, trimsport do a stainless one for £10

Nice work, thought it was just me mad enough to work on the C on the drive in the rain.

Opp's not that clamp, the terminal clamps, as in positive and negative.

Had a tarp rigged up, so wasnt to bad! You would be proud of the inner wings lee, took an hour so with heat gun and white spirit to remove all the wax. They now look spanking.

Have also re-wrapped all the wiring looms with high temp self amalgimating tape, that has really tided things up as all the fabric tape was disintigrating and looked a right mess.

Opp's not that clamp, the terminal clamps, as in positive and negative.

Had a tarp rigged up, so wasnt to bad! You would be proud of the inner wings lee, took an hour so with heat gun and white spirit to remove all the wax. They now look spanking.

Have also re-wrapped all the wiring looms with high temp self amalgimating tape, that has really tided things up as all the fabric tape was disintigrating and looked a right mess.

£7 each in gold from maplins. Yeah, been there, picking out the wax with my finger nails. hell of a job, i retaped my whole loom then covered in the ribbed plastic shroud stuff you get from demon tweeks allowing me to put several cables into one shroud reducing the mess around the driver side turret.

All finished last night. The power steering pump is now running nice and quietly. Got a pair of battery clamps from Maplins (thanks for the tip Lee) for a bargain price of £4.99 each, nice gold plated chunkers!

Drove to work this morning with an oil temp of no higher than 100, used to run at 118, so the oil cooler is definatly doing its thing. Also the water temp is down to 85 to 90, that used to run at 100 to 105. So feel much happier with those temps.

Also very pleased with the solid front engine mount I had made. Has taken all the backlash out of the drive train, has improved the handling as the engine is no longer slopping about. Well recommended mod.

Nice job Andy. Got my other tensioner bolt today so can start getting the engine back together at last. My bits won't be back from coating for about 10 days at least so still a while to go there.

Interesting you mention PAS pump noise, I notice mine only dumped about as much fluid as was in the pipes when I disconnected - the reservoir level has not dropped at all strangely. So I wondered whether there was anything 'peculiar' about how to top that up. I was just going to reconnect the pipework & turn her over but don't want to find the level drops & it then draws air into the system as I can't see a bleed screw anywhere. Anyone got any info on this?

Two probs though, power steering pump is making a horrible noise,

If you've done a flush and refill or fitted a new rack/pump etc it makes a god awful racket for ages! They're very robust those ZF pumps though and can take it.

2CC reservior empted itself when I disconnected the pipes. Have you still got the cap on??? Maybe the air hole in the cap is blocked and therefore the fluid is staying put.

Thanks for that Kev, puts my mind at rest, No noises from the pump today so guess all is ok.

Few more pics attached, 2CC helpful one for you when you come to install those new bushes in the front cross member.

Ooh, that's nice and shiny, tho' I feel inclined to leave the wax in there for protection myself, or are you re-waxing it? If so, with what might I ask? On the PAS, I took the cap off, but it still didn't drain - how weird is that? Hopefully there's plenty in there for now and I'll talk to dealers about a flush & renewal later, maybe. I am not looking forward to fitting the new cross member bushes, bet they were a right sod - maybe they merit going on Kev's "worst jobs" list LOL

So are you gonna sell us solid front mounts now then? The only thing I wondered about that was whether it would put a bit more strain on the tranny etc but there's probably some 'additional load capacity' built in.

Have rewaxed underneth the battery with some cavity wax from halfords. The rest is staying clean and polished.

Very strange with your PAS, don't what to suggest, except for suck on the end of the pipe!!!!

Bushes were worse than I thought, lucky I had those big washers etc about from when I did the syspension bushes on the g60. Its the only way to get them in. Easy with the right tools.

I'll leave the selling to 16VG60, happy to make stuff like that for me and run the risk if it should fail, but don't fancy making them for others. The cross member bushes act as the compliant bit now so no worries on stressing anything.

Evening All,

Just tinted up my plates with some light tinting film....think they are a little dark and will be getting some proper ones made up. What do you think?

Excuss the state of the wheels, live down an unmade road and the rain of late have left some nice mud!

erm... not something i'll be doing, sorry andy! would have thought the police would pull you pretty quickly for them too?

Just logged on to see the dislike..... had the same feeling this morning when I went out to the car, so the tinting film was ripped off!

Just uncovered the C from its winter sleep. Booked in for an mot tomorrow, so popped round the block a couple of times to clear it out for tomorrow. Opened the bonnet to find oil everywhere, blinking mocal oil cooler has developed a leak while resting over the winter. Its the core that has gone, so will have to source a new one first thing in the morn, whip off the bumper and get it all swopped over before the MOT. Bummer was hoping to get a lay in tomorrow!

Took some pics at the weekend, have just had the front bumper and the rear numberplate surround painted. Those that had seen my front bumper will know its was very overdue a fresh coat. Will be sorting out my all red lenses for the rear this weekend if we get some sun. They should go nicely with the colour coded numberplate surround.

Currently running without a mocal cooler as I couldnt get one the other weekend. Its amazing how much cooler it runs with the cooler.

Great to be driving it again after 7 months of it resting on the drive. It seems to be running better than ever, feels really strong, maybe down to having an ecu reset due to the battery coming out.

Enjoy the pics......

Must admit i'm not keen on the colour coded surround rear plate surround on Corrado's (especially on lighter coloured cars) but theres no doubting that is one lovely motor.. those Oettinger alloys just suit the Corrado down to the ground!