Jamie

FFS This Doesn't Look Good - VR6 Large Oil Leak

Took my car out of hibernation to get some tyres on it last week for the MOT and everything seemed spot on. I've just pulled it up to my house from the garage which is across the road and noticed an oil spot on the garage floor but it looked pretty old so didn't really think anything of it. When I put it away between the time I got out and opened the garage door and drove it in, it dropped a puddle the size of a saucer! Then I noticed when I walked to the house there's a spot outside the house the size of your fist and a trail from the house to the garage :(

I'm praying it's the sump cos the cars pretty low, but I don't remember hitting anything and I've got to leave for work now so where's a good place to start looking if it isn't the sump?

Oil cooler, pressure and temp senders on top of filter housing?

you need to actually look under the car and see where its coming from before having a panic mate :)

Oil cooler, pressure and temp senders on top of filter housing?

Is your real name Derren Brown? :D

Had a quick peak as I was leaving and it seems to be coming from around the oil filter housing underneath. Couldn't see for definite but the top around the sensors looked a bit wet as well but was difficult to see cos the air con pipes were in the way. Is this a fairly straightforward, albeit awkward fix if it is this?

Pete there's a reason I panicked which luckily I don't have to reveal now :lol:

Yes, easy fix.. Worth changing all the sensors while you are in there..

It was a long time ago when this hapenned to mine but i think you can get to them by removing the grill, no need to remove whole front of car...

Brilliant thanks Goldie. I take it it's likely to just be the oil cooler seals then? Is this a common fault?

What I thought was the oil filter housing looks like its the bottom of the oil cooler sandwich plate judging by the pics I've seen on the Internet tonight and that seemed to be where the oil was really dripping out from.

I was talking about just changing the sensors in the top of the filter housing.

As for the sandwich plate i dont know if you can do much with that with the front of the car on...

yes you can change the oil cooler seals with the front intact, its a little tricky on your back but can be done , removeing the front end doesnt take long though so it might be worth removeing the front end and doing the oil cooler seals and the thermostat houseing and crack pipe at the same time

Right had a look under there and it's the senders on the oil filter housing. Oh and what i originally thought was the oil filter housing is the oil filter housing :D The oil cooler looks bone dry so thats good. Can't see how I can get to the senders without taking the front end off at all though. Can't get to them from the grill cos the aircon and coolant rads are in the way. Is there a how to on taking the front end off anywhere on here?

Thanks for the replies btw - reply appreciate it :)

i have aircon in mine - its fiddly to get to the sensors but use some extensions and a wobble joint if necessary.

removing the front end is realy easy dude, its self explanatory so dont worry even though it seems duanting its not once you get stuck in, the only thing which is kinda hard is removing the bumper but thats just 4 bolts, if your going to remove the front end idd recomend you replace the oil cooler seals aswell as they are pence and maybe even the oil filter+ new o-ring, obviously its up to you if you want to replace the plastic thermostat houseing +crack pipe but for the cost and peice of mind it makes sense to do it all while the front end is off,

jack up front, remove front bumper, remove grill ,remove headlights, disconnect bonnet release from slam panel, unbolt slam panel ,

Oh that's awesome cheers mate. I'm going to have a go without but if it's too much of a struggle I'll just take the front off.

Looks like its sorted. Had to disconnect the aircon pipe from underneath (aircons not working anyway) but once that was out of the way was straightforward enough. Only done the black one as that was the one that looked like it was leaking badly but have the others just in case. Thanks for your advice all, was really appreciated :)