Critical_Mass

Clicking feeling under feet

Hi all,

Got a bit of an odd issue.

I noticed recently when the clutch pedal is is pushed down or being released it'll get to a particular point and ill feel a small click through the pedal. However, today i noticed that when turning the wheel with my foot on the clutch i can feel the clicking feeling also.. theres maybe 3 sequential clicks when turning the wheel left and right. Everything feels and sound normal other than this issue.

I dont know if this is connected, but ive noticed the subframe on the passenger side has started to catch on speedbumps that it never used to - Ones ive gone over plenty of times before.. its always specific speedbumps though.. maybe because of the height of them. Its like the car has dropped a tad on that side to make it lower to the floor. but the coilover on that corner looks fine. I cant see anything underneath.

Should i be worried that my subframe is cracked or something?

Cheers

Ok done a little testing today and the clutch being down is irrelevant. The clicking feeling is there regardless of the clutch being pressed in or not AND the clicking only seems to happened when turning the wheel right. Cant hear anything from under the bonnet.

The feeling is comin from the area of the floor the steering rack is at. Im startin to wonder if its the rack thats on its way out. But driving it feels normal and well weighted.

Not sure if it would be the steering rack , these normaly tend to leak pas fluid when on the way out ,as the seals leak , making the steering very tight and juddery .Have a look at the coilovers again , if theres a crack in one that would make a clicking sound ,it would also do it when you accelerate , try coasting with the window open then accelerate can you here it clicking then ?

Edited by robrado974

Ok will look at the coilover again. There's no noise when accelating, braking, no thuds over bumps or rattles. But will double check this.

Though i did hit a speed bump pretty hard yesterday. Hope the coilover is ok.

When you say crack in one of them, are you referring to the damper or springs?

In the spring , the reason i mentioned it was i had a clicking on my t4 and that was what it was , but it only did it on acceleration , you could here it . I have just replaced the steering rack on it as well but it was the symptons i explained above there was no clicking .I would also try jacking the car up and hold the wheel either side , give it a good pulling and pushing motion from side to side , check for movement there .

Suspension top mount perhaps? I know the bearings on mine are getting clicky when turning and I suppose if they're worn out it could sink down a bit?

I had thought that as one of them had been making that rubbery noise when turning and i again id had thought the same about them wearing and dropping it just enough to scrape. Probably worth changing them.

You might want to look under the dash and see if the steering column universal joint is tapping against the frame that carries the pedals when you turn the wheel..

ill put it on the list of things to check. :)

Though if that was the case, would i expect to feel a tapping through all three pedals?

Cheers

I think it catches on the clutch pedal assembly when it's in a certain position, from memory.

Check it out.

have someone turn left to right in nuetral with the motor running and check out the topmounts at the same time, could be topmount bearings

I think it catches on the clutch pedal assembly when it's in a certain position, from memory.

Check it out.

I think you are correct mate. How do i go about addressing this, does the whole steering column need replacing? If so does that mean the ignition barrel needs replacing too - isnt it fixed to the steering column?

OR can the UJ just be replaced?

Cheers

I suspect it's probably done this since new!!

I don't think there's really *anything* that can be adjusted, nor does it really mean that there's anything loose or wrong. It's just a quirk of the right hand drive car I think.

I suspect it's probably done this since new!!

I don't think there's really *anything* that can be adjusted, nor does it really mean that there's anything loose or wrong. It's just a quirk of the right hand drive car I think.

What do you mean, you suspect its done it since new? Its only being doing it for the last couple of weeks.

Cheers :)

Well.. mine's done it at certain lock positions since I had the car 8 years ago. It's all metal down there shifting a lot of weight and there's a little bit of flex here and there (not to mention - YOU choose where to put your steering column height), and it just happens.. Try playing with the column tilt.