leon263

Rear spoiler activation

On my previous Corrado the rear spoiler came up at 45mph but on my current one it comes up at 55mph. What actually activates the spolier and is it something which can be adjusted?

There is a little spoiler control module which controls which speed the spoiler activates at. I think the 45/55MPH difference is purely an early / late thing though not 100% sure on that. They are interchangeable if you really want it to come up at a lower speed. And without getting involved in soldering the speed can't be changed from the 45/55MPH options sadly.

There is a little spoiler control module which controls which speed the spoiler activates at. I think the 45/55MPH difference is purely an early / late thing though not 100% sure on that. They are interchangeable if you really want it to come up at a lower speed. And without getting involved in soldering the speed can't be changed from the 45/55MPH options sadly.

Not interchangeable between some model years as the connector plug is different.

There is a range of spoiler deployment speeds depending on model and market, I have a German one sat on my desk for an early spec car that deploys at 72MPH (which is what the Corrado is designed for).

Really 72 MPH makes sense really as 45 or 55 MPH isn't fast enough as the car won't be producing enough down force to warrant the rear spoiler being up any way.

I think on the MK2 Audi TT the rear spoiler kicks up at 75 or 80 MPH which is more like it.

I don't think the whole idea was to increase downforce tbh. Its a gimmick that helped sell the car during production imo.

Bugger about the difference between early and late though, I picked up an early one yesterday to replace my late one. I'll check it all out tomorrow when I'm with the car again.

The activation speeds were lowered a lot for UK spec cars due to our 70 MPH speed limit though :)

I don't think the whole idea was to increase downforce tbh. Its a gimmick that helped sell the car during production imo.

Bugger about the difference between early and late though, I picked up an early one yesterday to replace my late one. I'll check it all out tomorrow when I'm with the car again.

I think maybe at 45MPH it's not going to help much but there are some good photo's of the effect of the spoiler in the wind tunnel showing that it does seem to have some effect.. I believe the idea wasn't just for downforce but also for stability under braking?

It does provide around 5cm of compression on the rear end at 70 mph, I do have a chart at home which shows the downforce provided at a given road speed. More importantly it reduces rear end lift at speed which was the problem with the first TTs.

As for a gimmick, sort of, if you look at mk 2 sciroccos then they had a large rear spoiler that was a pain when reversing, hence the active spoiler on the Corrado.

I'd love it if someone here had access to a wind tunnel so we could try reproducing the tests and doing our own measurements :)

Apparently MIRA's is about £500-£600 an hour :|

Edited by Jim

I'd love it if someone here had access to a wind tunnel so we could try reproducing the tests and doing our own measurements :)

That would be brilliant! :)

Yep - If anyone thinks it doesn't make a difference then try driving above 70 with the spoiler down - car doesn't feel planted at all and feels light above 80