lard44

VR6 non-start - common faults?

Hi all,

Took the 'Rado for a spin into town yesterday and back - ran absolutely fine - was planning on doing an oil change today...

Got in this morning, car turned over and fired up - then immediately cut out. Kept trying, same result. Car will run for a split second or two - really rough and stinking of fuel - if I give it beans the exhaust is really smokey - then it cuts out.

It's never done this before - had a new coil pack a couple of years ago according to paperwork - just wondered if there were any common faults I should be looking for...? I was thinking spark plugs and HT leads as a starting point as I've not done them and I think I chipped the end off a lead or two when I took everything out to replace the thermostat a few weeks ago...

Sadly nope - been looking at getting a generic fault reader as i don't have £400 kicking around...

The immobilizer light on the dash goes out as it should via the keyfob tho?

EDIT - on reflection this morning I had to use two different Scorpion fobs - one seems to be dying, so I used one for central locking and another for the immobilizer in the car. Got 3 spare keys, I wonder if they're not all set up correctly - going to have a little play now...

---------- Post added at 4:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:23 PM ----------

Well, this is embarrassing...obviously when I've changed to my spare keyfob I've also tried to use the spare key - hence the car cutting out. Have now put the right key with the right immobilizer fob, and will investigate replacing the battery in the other one just in case...I imagine this is cheaper than having the other keys chipped to work 'properly'?

Thanks for pointing me towards the immobilizer!

Edited by lard44

Good one. This was classic ECU immobiliser fault - it kills the engine after a few seconds if it doesn't get the right code from the key reader coil, but it gives you the benefit of the doubt initially so the car starts normally.