timthetinyhorse

Are some parts departments deliberately unhelpful?

Today I went to my local vw parts department to get my splitter reinforcement bar and bolts, I gave the parts guy the numbers etc, he looked at them and said he couldn't get them, no checking or anything, I asked him if he could check the system so he walked away and was back in under 30 sec saying his manager said they couldn't get it.

Not believing him I called the next closest parts department and gave them the numbers, they checked the numbers, ordered me my parts and hey presto tomorrow I get the parts I needed......why could the other dealer not have helped me out and taken a look? Has anyone else had this issue with parts departments?

The first dealer has been "unable" to get me a fair few bits in the past and I'm now left wondering if they have just been taking the p and can't be bothered.....

Rob

Pure laziness. I'd drop VW UK a line and dump them in it. Not good enough IMHO. Thankfully my parts department are good as gold 8)

It is a bit of a lottery, im lucky up here in Glasgow that he ca be bothered...

What dealer were you at?

I would be inclined to go back in there again and give them an ear full. Show them your order that you got down at another dealership that they say that they could not get without even checking the system first. Bit distgusting and poor service that even the manager said the same thing.

You even done all the leg work for them with the parts number all they had to do was type it in FFS!!!

Edited by VWVW

The dealer in question was benfield VW silverlink, stupid thing is that 4 miles away at benfield vw Newcastle they could get me the parts.....complete joke it has to be said!

I think there are some dealers out there who see a list of a few nuts and bolts and simply can't be bothered - they don't seem to have any ability to understand that enthusiasts like us spread word of mouth about helpful dealers, and that you might saunter back in there one day and put down an order for a few hundred pounds of parts one day.

Thankfully my local VW dealership (Listers in Coventry) are an absolutely awesome bunch of guys and no list of nuts or bolts is too much trouble :)

Definitely drop VW UK a line and let them know about the useless ones.

Speak with your feet and don't shop there again, easy as. There's no shortage of businesses wanting money at the moment.

My VW dealer ( Corkills Wigan ) even give me the opportunity to email lists to them. Unfortunatly I like their coffee to much to take them up on this yet.

If it really grates your gears then send an email to the owner of the franchise. Sure they'll appreciate poor service like a hole in a boat.

The local one I've been going to for years was the best service I've had anywhere and they were really interested in the car.

Vw shut it down a few months ago and now I have to go elsewhere and so far not enjoying the new place. Polite and helpful but very depressing feeling to me. At least they have a decent carpark though. Old one was ridiculous.

Well I have emailed the head office today so I will see what the response is, needless to say that today lost them the sale of a spanking new passat CC to replace the mrs 120 cabby....time to look at BMW or Mercedes again

I've had good and bad service from various dealers. Luckily my current local one is very good and they always remember me when I go there (partly due to the Corrado and partly due to my old mk4 that was almost immaculate 8 years later and still being serviced by them). Sadly I usually get the answer "obsolete" but at least they try to find it.

Well I have emailed the head office today so I will see what the response is, needless to say that today lost them the sale of a spanking new passat CC to replace the mrs 120 cabby....time to look at BMW or Mercedes again

You may get a better service talking to the sales manager about the potential loss of a CC sale.

Reminds me of a heated discussion I had in an Audi Parts Department a few years ago..."Audi did not build a sporty version of the A2 sir" when inquiring about parts for my S2.

I used to use Benfield VW on Scotswood road - some of the guys were really helpful, some weren't - on some occassions when I'd ordered parts on back-order, they didn't bother to phone me to let me know they were in, or to let me know they were obsolete - and then they stopped giving any discount whatsoever on parts, and I've not been back since.

Some departments are helpful though, especially if there's a dub enthusiast working there - Lookers VW Teesside have a parts enquiry thread on http://vagcars.co.uk but I don't know if they'll post items - so probably only useful if you're in the Teesside/Darlington area.

Yep as above, parts manager is good as gold, ive emailed lists of obscure parts and he'll get them, he's double checked and corrected incorrect/ obsoleted parts numbers and let me know correct version, discount never an issue either....

Then there's the other guy, always huffy, engine code or reg number not good enough, always needs the chassis number even for generic parts. Last week ordered a fuel pressure regulator, I was presented with an oil pressure sender!

VW Lincoln (Lookers) were terrible when I tried them the other week. So much so that I sent off a complaint, something I never normally do!

Glad you contacted VW. Infuriates me service like that. If they worked for a small company they'd be bending over backwards but as they think the company is so big they, are, safe to toss it off as they think their business will never ber affected. Lazy Gits.

My local TPS is exceptional and the chap I deal with even pays for anything that comes from vw heritage on his own credit card and I pay him the cash when he delivers it to my work address lol he's a legend alright :-)

My local Alan Day VW dealer used to have great service, but then they forcibly retired the really helpful 2 old chaps who were on the parts desk, as they'd reached 65.

Now they've got some kids in to replace them, straight out of school, and they just don't seem to care about service.

I've lost count of the number of times I've turned up to collect my parts, only to find stuff missing....

One time, I went in there to order parts, and some new temp made a note of the part numbers and said leave it with me, come back next week.

The next week, I was there, to be told the parts were never ordered. Apparently this happened to dozens of customers which this tw@t served....

Yeah I know of the thread on vag cars, get a few part numbers off the guy but its fairly far away for me :-)

I have asked for a response from VW so I will see what they come back with, I can't comment about the scotswood branch other than today's experience and they were very helpful to the point where my phone dropped service and they called me back as soon as I had service to sort my order for me.

I may talk to the sales manager tomorrow and let him know if the lost sale also as I'm pretty unhappy with the branch....Mercedes or BMW will be getting my money this year

Rob

The local one I've been going to for years was the best service I've had anywhere and they were really interested in the car.

Vw shut it down a few months ago and now I have to go elsewhere and so far not enjoying the new place. Polite and helpful but very depressing feeling to me. At least they have a decent carpark though. Old one was ridiculous.

Stortford? They sold me my new Beetle then - BAM - two weeks later it was gone.

I've been to Harlow a couple of times since...they've been okay but a bit huffy because some part numbers have been superseded for the 'Rado and they weren't easy to find on the system...