ross k

starter button wiring query

hi guys my ignition switch died so putting a starter button in for the moment due to funds and had one lying around the start button has two terminals one for a switched ignition live and one for the starter it seems logical to connect one side to the yellow and black wire and one side to the starter wire but the starter wire is bigger and im worried its going to fry the yellow and black wire will it be ok or should it be wired differently ive seen a few guides etc but no definitive answer some people seem to have done the above or added a relay just want to check really thanks ross

Don't do it, they look terrible. I bought a new ignition switch from VW the other week for 24.95. About a tenner from VW heritage for a copy part.

Part number is 6N0 905 865

If you really want to do it on the cheap then you can always make a switch bypass cable and run it off that - crimp four bits of wire into one male spade terminal, then crimp four more spade terminals onto the loose ends. Should be obvious where they go ;)

Just as secure as running it off a switch as you still need the key in the ignition to release the steering lock and disable the immobiliser. Whatever you do don't forget to insert the key! Having the steering lock on you as you back out of a parking space is not a fun feeling... :oops:

Should keep you going until payday, but as above a new one is only around £25.

Stone

ok guys thought it was a good idea because i know the ignition switch is problematic dont worry thanks for the help