robrado974

Found this today , simple re-seal ?

I gave the old girl a wash today and found that the trim has come loose around the top edge of the windscreen , not very happy tbh !. I had a new screen in 2010 when the repaint was done and the pillers were replaced as they were rotten . I have spoken to autoglass today and a technician is coming out on friday to re seal it . I hope there is no damage done , i dont know how long its been like it . I presume any water that has got in can escape ? ,just a bit worried as this is why my pillers were replaced in the first place ,due to poor fitting . What do you guys think ?

Regards Rob

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

thats not a waterproof seal dont worry no water will enter the car

​stu - national windscreens

As Stu has said, the screen is bonded from the back. That seal is actually just a trim piece, get some compressed air in there to blow all the possible water out before its fitted back in, and you should be fine Rob.

Thanks , you have both put my mind at rest . I know the screen is bonded , but it makes you think , where is that water sitting that has leaked into that hole ?

the reason its not tight tight is because the windscreen was put in place abit further down in the channel when fitted , they could of done with bringing the screen up 1-2mm extra , the higher up the windscreen is the tighter fitting that seal will be, but you run the risk of it being too tight..

Yep - it should only be 'glued' along the top so they are often a bit loose round there but shouldn't be ideally...

It's wither fitted a bit low or they've used an aftermarket seal that's shrunk

If all else is ok though a small blob of silicon will sort it

Yep - it should only be 'glued' along the top so they are often a bit loose round there but shouldn't be ideally...

It's wither fitted a bit low or they've used an aftermarket seal that's shrunk

If all else is ok though a small blob of silicon will sort it

Guys.

My seal across the windscreen as lifted in the warm sun these last few days - about 10cm above the driver. Having read your responses above, am I right in thinking a bit of sealant can used to stick it back down?

Will let you know tomorrow , when they have been out to sort it. But going on what others have said ,yes it should be fine with silicone .

Rob