welshside

Full brake failure

I've just had a full on pedal to floor and nothing happen brake failure. Luckily I was off the motorway and just going slow at the time but it's scary to think what could have happened.

I saw some smoke from the rear/side when I pressed the brake pedal and there's a load of brake fluid on the rear heat shield so looks like the line going under there is broke.

Has this happened to anyone else on here?

I had an advisory on that brake line last mot and still not looked at it, reminds me to remake it.

Good job I didn't have a fire as well. I keep meaning to get a fire extinguisher to keep in the car but never get around to it.

I had an MOT a few weeks back and got an advisory on 'rear brake pipes with slight corrosion', thought it would be fine for a while though.

Sorry if I have got anyone paranoid about their brakes now.

Had similar with my Passat... it failed its MOT on a couple of front suspension arms (no surprise there, it's a B5 and they ALWAYS need an arm at MOT time!!! :rolleyes: ) but with no other advisories. I changed the arms in my garage, reversed the car out of my drive and the pedal went to the floor with no braking going on! Yanked on the handbrake to stop on my drive and just made it! When I looked around the car, the solid pipe on the driver's rear axle had a 2" split in it and obviously hadn't been inspected as is supposed to be part of the MOT test! :(

I think I'm just VERY lucky that it didn't go while I was driving it on the road.... scary stuff when you think about what could have happened! :|

Is it the hard line thats gone or a hose? I'd be shocked if it was a hard line and hadn't been picked up for corrosion at a previous MOT!

mine was a hard line... it was covered in muck and obviously hadn't been inspected at the MOT the car had just failed... Needless to say, I won't be going back to that garage!

On mine the heat shield is the only thing covered in brake fluid so I'm guessing it's the hard line that runs under there.

I'm just about to try and get it off now to investigate.

I pulled the heat shield off and was greeted with this. I'm a bit ****ed off they didn't notice it in the MOT, but it was hidden behind the heat shield.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73905[/ATTACH]

Not the best thing to happen but

At least it accessible so you can remove it and get a new one made

Shouldn't cost alot

Here we pay £0.70 an end plus £1 per foot of pipe

That's made up at a local independant spares shop, though its just a straight pipe that you need to carefully bend to shape

I am going to get all the stuff to make up new lines for the rear. Probably best to do all the lines I can as they are starting to show their age and I get peace of mind knowing they shouldn't split again for a while.

It's kind of good timing because I bought some mk4 callipers the other week that need to be fitted as well.

just buy these , iv done most of mine , its an annoying job unless you got a ramp, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-BRAKE-PIPE-KITGolf-Mk1-Mk2-1-2-3-4-COPPER-3-16-/300896616336?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460ed5ff90

Flare kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7pc-Double-and-Single-Flaring-Tool-Kit-Brake-Pipe-Set-Mechanic-FREE-CUTTER-/271160946972?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f2273b11c#ht_4067wt_991

you might also need to renew these spring clips http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-MK1-CABRIOLET-SCIROCCO-1-6-1-8-GTI-BRAKE-HOSE-CLIPS-4D0611715B-C923-/190797288571?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item2c6c67947b#ht_2412wt_850

now would be a good idea to upgrade to mk4 rear calipers if you havent already done so,

volksworld13 how do you remanufacture genuine brake lines? you just remove old brake pipes and clean them up?

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

i remake a brand new pipe using genuine green steel and unions to the exact shape of the originals. have a look in group buys under remanufactured brake lines for more info and prices.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74220[/ATTACH]

I've got all the stuff to sort the rear brakes out and some mk4 callipers off ebay that I've tidied up and painted red, because red brakes work better.

Slight problem with the handbrake cable though, the nipple isn't big enough to be held by the handbrake mech on the calliper, it just slides through. I'm not sure if it's because of an aftermarket handbrake cable or a different mech on the calliper.

Anyone else had problems with this or recommend a handbrake cable with a nice big nipple :fondle:

Just squeeze the mech end to bend it in slightly. That's what I did.